PDA

View Full Version : anyone used cloudflare?

edbr
10-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Having second ddos attack on my server in a month. I was looking at cloudflare as a possibility. Wonerong if anyone has user experoence with it?

d a v e
10-10-2015, 05:29 AM
i set up one of my hosting accounts with them for my portfolio site but then i never moved it :) i did test it briefly but removed my files so i didn't have a duplicate site ;)

didn't have any problems, but hardly tested it thoroughly...

how would it help prevent ddos attacks?

edbr
10-10-2015, 06:29 AM
Thats one of their claims.https://www.cloudflare.com/under-attack

edbr
10-12-2015, 01:19 AM
was there any loss of service with DNS propigation? im not completely sure of the process despite reading it several times. brain fog

i will try a test domain that is basically not used much and see the effect i think.

edbr
10-12-2015, 01:57 AM
ok i did that. using the interface on my cpanel i was a very fast and painless experience.
simple click to activate and domain now points to www.concord-bali-villas.com.cdn.cloudflare.net
instaed of www.concord-bali-villas.com.
no disruption and it seems a bit faster to load as per the advertising, although stupidly i did not cjheck before and after . i will monitor via google analytics and let you know.
The claim is that it has no negative effect via google so ill see what happens. This is not my major site so its ok if my experience is noyt good, but gets enough visitors to show some effect i hope.
Not brave enough to commit my main site though :)

edbr
10-12-2015, 04:07 AM
hmm spoke too soon

What happened?

You've requested a page on a website (www.eat-fit.uk) that is on the CloudFlare network. CloudFlare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (www.eat-fit.uk). There are two potential causes of this:

Most likely: if the owner just signed up for CloudFlare it can take a few minutes for the website's information to be distributed to our global network.
Less likely: something is wrong with this site's configuration. Usually this happens when accounts have been signed up with a partner organization (e.g., a hosting provider) and the provider's DNS fails.

edbr
10-12-2015, 04:41 AM
back to the drawing board. i disabled cloudflare via my reseller hosting panel and site re appeared instantantly. It maybe a wordpress issue as i do not have a problem with other site i tried with

d a v e
10-12-2015, 08:37 PM
havent tried it with wordpress so cant say

edbr
10-13-2015, 12:58 AM
Thank you Dave. Its a fledgling site i just set up for my son so ill stop messing with it for now. I will have a look for a wordpress forum see if its common with wordpress or maybe a plugin ive used.
im not a user of wordpress usually

edbr
10-13-2015, 02:36 AM
i just had to deactivate it as i dicoverd although the home page was good and much faster as its heavy with imags, any link produses an error page.
trying to log into the settings page via cpanel produces a json ajax error.
Sod this ill back away for now and revisit later ....maybe