PDA

View Full Version : I need help to resize or create a liquid movement on this website.

ScarlettHan
09-03-2015, 09:39 PM
I've created http://tekteachinc.com/ for one of my clients without any sort of template, generally I've used div tags to create the entirety of the website, I don't know if this is problematic but every time I view it in the browser, there's always a tiny white space, to the right and I'd like to know how to make it so that it resizes with the browser. There was a white space on the left as well in which I fixed it by setting the margin to -3, but i'm so confused when it comes to the rest of it. Please help, I'm still a beginner when it comes to websites.

edbr
09-04-2015, 02:04 AM
hello welcome to the forum.
use a css reset.
think about your width bigger than my screen so cant see your issue why not 100% ? then use percentages in media queries to display in mobiles and tablets better.
dont use flash, many browsers arte moving to block flash content.
use html5 (also with the doc)

also what is <div id="I"> refering to?

ScarlettHan
09-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Thank you,

I've read on how to reset the css style but i'm not sure if I have it right? I put the asterisk at the beginning of a style or div tag but it just made a larger blank area to the right. I will see what happens when I change the widths too 100% though.
As for the <div id="I">, I deleted it and previewed it in the browser and nothing seems to be different.

Worst case scenario, would it be better to redo the entire site, reset the css, then start the main site and see what happens?

edbr
09-04-2015, 04:52 AM
well you can work with what you have biut have a look at this template , not a million miles from wheer you are in design . but responsive ( a sloight plus with search engines) so bettter viewing on mobiles . it might give you a starting position.
http://html5up.net/arcana

edbr
09-04-2015, 04:55 AM
or browse these, you will get some ideas re responsive at least https://www.freshdesignweb.com/free-html5-css3-templates/

ScarlettHan
09-04-2015, 05:00 AM
Oh! So I can just download this and fix it up to match the information I have on my design, then upload it to the host server like normal? I'm a far cry from being experienced for design in websites but this would be great to at least start off with as the first that's ever been put live so it's not as confusing since I have a deadline.

edbr
09-04-2015, 05:34 AM
yes its free, there are lots online. check if they aslk for a link . some do some dont

ScarlettHan
09-04-2015, 05:43 AM
OK so from then on it's just transferring the code I already have or the details of it into the template is that correct too?

edbr
09-04-2015, 06:13 AM
yes its a template so hangne the logo, text images and links where appropriate

ScarlettHan
09-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Ah thank you so much! I would still like to know how to fix that resizing problem myself, but thank you very much for helping me out to at least find something different for now.

edbr
09-04-2015, 07:04 AM
did you try body{margin: 0;}

d a v e
09-04-2015, 09:53 AM
i would also avoid putting your navigation in as images - it's a lot harder to make it respond to different widths, it's not read by search engines, it's not accesible to those with screen readers.

i don't suppose you could propose a logo update too? :) something more this century ;) I don't want to sound rude but it's dated and ugly and over complicated

Tiger
09-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Set your div width to Auto, But tbh, I think you need to take this back to the drawing bord as some off the content colors aren't appealing. just saying. not being rude or anything