PDA

View Full Version : windows 10

edbr
05-21-2015, 03:17 AM
In a latest post
Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.
Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device
Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.

Who is going to Upgrade?

wellmaderibs
05-21-2015, 12:10 PM
I think I'll pass, I am still happy and contented with my Windows 7 :)

d a v e
05-21-2015, 12:33 PM
if it's delivered through windows update is it then just that, an update? i mean you don't need to reinstall windows it simply updates/overwrites win7 keeping all installed programmes etc intact?? like doing a distro upgrade in linux?

edbr
05-22-2015, 01:58 AM
seems so, but different stories seem to emerge. last week it was going to be free even for pirate versions , then not .Then talk of a pay as you go,software as a service. Infact they say this will be the last 'version' as such just updates from now on
they do seem to be changing the business pattern a bit even going open source to a degree.

i remain suspicious though. i did an update on Linux last week and it fried it, had to reinstall anyway .
I also dont look at a new windows release till service pack 1 at least.
i learnt that from millenia. and by passed vista and windows 8.

edbr
06-03-2015, 02:19 AM
Microsoft announced today that it will be launching Windows 10 on July 29th

but...
Microsoft warns that watching DVDs will also require "separate playback software
Cortana will only be available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain at launch
goodbye to Windows Media Center, the card game Hearts, and Windows 7's desktop gadgets. say its not so...lose hearts??????

Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available

meanwhile prices

$110 for the Windows 10 Home package to $199 for the Windows 10 Pro edition

th emote i hear the more im thinking of switching to linux completely.
i run linux mint on a laptop and while not perfect either its pretty damn good

edbr
06-03-2015, 08:39 AM
just a thought . if any one wanted to give t a whirl then dodnload the free os from http://www.linuxmint.com/.
It is based on ubuntu but strives to be as user friendly as poss.
you can after download the image file,
download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net and burn the image onto a bootable flash disk or dvd.

Once you boot up from the disk you can run on the disk or later ,if you wish install as main OS or dual boot with windows.
Sorry i do not have a clue about apple but the site should gibe details

edbr
08-07-2015, 01:58 AM
Has any one updated?
im a bit surprised by the waty they are monetising.
Solitaire > $9.99 per year to remove the ads
Windows DVD Player > $14.99
really?
and it seems if you have to reinstall there is a charge as it is not an upgrade from win 7 or 8.

RainForest
09-15-2015, 07:25 PM
I upgraded my 8.1 machine as I disliked Win 8 from the get-go. I was immediately disappointed when, during the Win 10 installation process, the option for Express/recommended installation appeared as a huge button while Custom installation was a tiny link on the other side of the screen.

It only got worse from there. All settings having anything whatsoever to do with privacy/sharing were defaulted to On - including getting updates from OTHER USERS and allowing other users to get updates from ME - and needed to be turned off (though honestly I don't remember exactly where I found this setting). After installation, I had to go into Settings and thoroughly review EVERYTHING to ensure the computer was reasonably secure.

Post-installation reading about Win 10, I realize that not only is it a big piece of spyware because you can turn reporting etc off but some things continue to be reported/shared anyway, but this type of behavior is a sign of things to come, as it's been described as having been designed for young people (think teens) who won't have to remember passwords, and can do everything with a shake, tilt, or swipe.

My now-accomplished instinct was to install Linux as a safe-/secure-use option.

Way to go, Microsoft. :evil:

edbr
09-16-2015, 02:23 AM
i share your concerns. I do not like what i read about the security and 'incognito' reporting. it has an user id that follows you around it seems.
I have heard similar problems with the microsoft Skype as you now cannot turn off other users contacting you.
I have frankly had enough of this attitude with google and the like with storing your searches etc. Sadly has become the norm it seems.

some points discussed here http://www.infoworld.com/article/2972298/microsoft-windows/10-reasons-you-shouldnt-upgrade-to-windows-10.html
I am sticking with win7 for now(at least) in my office. Though for my own use i am still abit undecided.

What linux distro are you using? i am using linuxmint and am reasonably happy but am wary to covert my office computers as i think i will be spending to much time on the maintenance at least till the staff get used to it.

edbr
10-15-2015, 02:30 AM
new update
The latest preview release of Windows 10 includes the first glimpse of a new feature designed to eliminate one specific activation headache. When this change rolls out to the general public next month, you'll be able to use your Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key to complete a Windows 10 upgrade.

edbr
11-02-2015, 08:04 AM
latest plan by microsoft if you have automatic updates enabled

Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.

link (http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/)

edbr
11-26-2015, 02:43 AM
it seems Microsoft had done a sharp U-turn because the background service at the heart tracking (the ‘Diagnostics Tracking Service’ aka ‘DiagTrack’) appeared to have been removed
however Microsoft simply renamed DiagTrack. It is now called the ‘Connected User Experiences and Telemetry Service and seems to do the same background reporting.
It appears this can be stopped fowever.
more details and how to stop it here (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/24/windows-10-automatic-spying-begins-again/)