PDA

View Full Version : Responsive Design - Where to start?

eclstar
03-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been using Dreamweaver to create very basic websites. I currently have CC but 2013 version.

I am wanting to learn how to use fluid grid layouts to make responsive websites.

Where do i start?

1. Should i use Dreamweaver alone, or should I use Bootstrap with DW or bootstrap on it's own? (I've read about bootstrap but have not used it).

2. Should i give up on DW completely- is there an easier program?

3. If i stick with DW, is it easiest to buy a responsive template and then try to fix that to suit my needs?

4. Do i need to buy a newer version of DW, or will my version be ok?

Please recommend any resources, tutorials etc etc

Thankyou

edbr
03-30-2015, 05:21 AM
drewsmweaver is a good code editor and you can use the one you have.
if you want to use bootstrap . its not a program . if tyou want to use an IDE there are plenty free or cheap. netbeeans , sublime text ( text editor on steroids0 or jetbrains seem to be the most popuar

Ricky55
03-31-2015, 06:49 AM
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion recently as to what Dreamweaver is and what it can do and how it relates to other technologies etc.

For the record Dreamweaver is essentially a code editor and FTP program with a set of visual tools to make certain tasks easier for beginners.

Dreamweaver is as relevant now as it ever was and its a good code editor. I personally don't use it as I find it slower and not as powerful as other code editors but if you are using its visual tools it's a great way to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript to a lesser extent. I used it when I started out. That's why I'm on this forum now. 10 years ago when I started I was using it and I came here for help. The forum was much more popular back then but I still like to come on to help beginners to pay back for the help I received which saved my ass so many times in my early days.

Because it's essentially a code editor it can be used to create any type of website. It's visual tools are mainly for HTML and CSS but you can code anything in it really.

Bootstrap is a framework. This is just a collection of HTML, CSS and JavaScript files to act as a starter to create websites. It helps you create grids for responsive sites. It also helps with ui elements such as buttons, sliders etc. All the common things most sites have. It makes creating sites much quicker and easier than creating from scratch.

There is a downside though. It adds bloat I.e. You could be adding code you are not using. It also locks you into using it to a certain extent. It also adds quite a lot of presentational code to your HTML which some folks don't like. I.e you have to add a lot of class names to your HTML to make it work.

I personally don't use it but I work with a developer who loves it but that's mainly because it allows him to focus on back end code rather than front end.

I'd say try it and see if you like it. You can use it with Dreamweaver no problem. I personally still think for most sites it's better to roll your stuff but that's just my opinion.

Whether you should stop using Dreamweaver comes down to one thing really. Do you just want a site or do you want to learn web design. If you just want a site forget it. There are far easier ways. If you want to learn continue to use until you get more familiar with code and you'll naturally move away to something more code orientated. I use sublime text.

If you still want to learn but are more of a visual guy then you could try something like Adobe muse or a program like macaw or webflow but these are only short term fixes in my view and you can't build a career just knowing these tools.

Hope that helps you.

edbr
03-31-2015, 08:34 AM
heres a few freebies including bootstrap examples
http://designscrazed.org/free-responsive-html5-css3-templates/
more
http://www.freshdesignweb.com/free-html5-css3-templates.html
and if you yahoogle for responsive there are so many base gris systems on github that can keep you amused for days

eclstar
04-02-2015, 01:41 AM
Thanks for your replies.

To be honest, I'm not looking at making a career as a web developer.

I just need to know what is the simplest way to create a website that is mobile responsive.

I can find online templates - free or paid ones, but those templates will probably need changes like putting in a logo, different banner, change font.

Changes can be made through DW, i know, but i am wondering is there an easier tool to modify templates with when you know minimal coding.

Is it easier to modify a template through wordpress- is it possible, or do you have to revert to using an editor like DW to make changes anyway? ( I know nothing about wordpress).

Ricky55
04-03-2015, 06:50 PM
I just need to know what is the simplest way to create a website that is mobile responsive.

Answer: Hire someone.

Well if you buy a good theme for WordPress you'll be able to add your logo and content without touching a single line of code, that's the whole point.

You'll need some knowledge of WP but that isn't hard to acquire.

Why are wanting to do this yourself? wouldn't be easier to just hire someone?

To my mind you'd be far better focusing on your business and let someone else deal with your website. You'll get far better results this way. If this doesn't make financial sense then Id suggest you need a new business not a new website.

It's a bit like learning how to service your own car, why would you.

I build sites around wordpress themes for smaller companies all the time. Give me a shout if you'd like me to help you.

The thing is even if you go the WP route some of these themes still require knowledge.

The only way you'll get a site without knowing anything is if you use a hosted template site such as Square Space and even then you'll be messing around trying to get used to their website.