PDA

View Full Version : DW Responsive Websites?

Tomcat104
03-27-2015, 11:36 PM
I'm am getting the same advice from friends. I have used Dreamweaver for many, many years and still haven't come close to "mastering" it.

Lately I've started to try and learn FGL layouts. Several of my close friends have abandoned DW in favor of Wordpress saying it's ability to handle Responsive Design is faster and superior to that of DW.

I have refused to try WP (mostly because of my disability issues) but want to ask for some of you guys input & opinions. This is especially true of edbr & Ricky55; you have both helped me and earned my utmost respect.

So once again I'll ask for you guys thoughts and opinions!

edbr
03-28-2015, 01:07 AM
wordpress=apples dreamweaver = oranges.
1 is a cms other is an editor

Tomcat104
03-28-2015, 01:48 AM
I understand most of the differences there but have no first hand knowledge with WP. I'm thinking of them both as a way to create responsive websites and that's pretty much all for now.

Is one of them really better? I do not have any real complaints about DWCS6, it does what I want just fine. I'm just being hammered by friends that I'm using an older, dying program that is harder to use. Personally I find WP harder to use since I know DW better.

Understand again that I only design for family & friends and not for a living.

Thanks again for your help!

I'm still really confused since I like apples & oranges!

edbr
03-28-2015, 02:26 AM
so what to say/ the y are not up for comparison.
Ricky55 is a big fan of wordpress as are many web users but dreamweaver is not a cms, its a page editior that could be used to create or modify templates that the cms uses .
many , probably your fiends by the kind of comments and not knowing the difference, find a skin or theme they like and use it i would guess, much like Jommla was used in the past and still to a lesser degree.
try it and see what you think or try one of the gezillion othe cms available on the web if thats what you want its free!

Ricky55
03-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Ed is right you're still getting the two confused.

Dreamweaver is essentially a code editor so it can be used to create any website. I create my own custom themes for WordPress, if I wanted to I could create these using Dreamweaver. Think of Dreamweaver just as a tool.

WordPress is a CMS (content management system). WordPress has nothing to do with responsive design at all.

To make WordPress websites look different you can use different templates, these are called themes. They can be downloaded for free or you can buy from websites like themeforest.

What your friends are probably doing is just using WordPress and buying or downloading themes. This is a quick way to get a website and yes most of these themes are responsive and are well built especially if you buy from Theme Forest.

Using WordPress in this manner is not web design, any one with some computer knowledge can do this. There is no coding or design going on here.

When I use wordpress for my client projects I create custom themes for it especially for the client, this is then web design as I am designing and coding my own theme.

If you don't really want to learn web design or how to code then using wordpress can be a good way to go as you can have a professional looking site quickly with not much effort.

If you want to create your own designs though then using dreamweaver is still totally fine but again only if you want to learn. If you don't there are other tools these days that will let you build custom sites without coding.

Try looking at something like:

Webflow or Macaw or Adobe Muse. These work a bit like photoshop, no coding but you can still design and construct custom responsive sites. These may be a better fit for you than Dreamweaver.

Like I say though, if you do want to learn web design and you want to learn how to code HTML, CSS and Javascript then Dreamweaver is a better tool as it's a great way to learn. Macaw and these types of tools are ok but IMO you are always better learning how to code. What happens for instance if a client already has a website that they want editing? You can do that in Macaw. Or what happens if a client is using custom PHP etc, again these tools won't help you.

https://webflow.com/
http://macaw.co/
http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/muse.html

Or you could just use a template site such as Square Space but again this won't teach you anything and won't really be creating custom websites.

So your friends are just confusing you as they don't really know that much about web design.

Hope you now understand the difference.

I am recording a video on this subject in the next few days, when I've done it I'll post on here this will give you even more info.

Cheers