PDA

View Full Version : Micro sites to link different type of content.

vinnyvangogh
01-30-2015, 04:19 AM
I took over a friends website a few years ago.... and created a new set of files - which are ( have been) good and with trade and other good back links the site shows on page one ( of relevant industry) of Google and virtually all the search engines.

I keep telling my friend that he should really update the website more than every 5 years! He has the laymans fear that if it changes Google will change their search results!
That said - this post is about a real "fear" of doing something which seems to be a good idea, but how will Google react!

The site is basically an online catalogue/product brochure - its about industrial welding stuff and there are lots of machines and bits and pieces.

There are currently 98 pages in total.

What I want to do - is split the products and related bits - into individual "micro sites" with a main menu to link them together by category.

My logic is to make the site usable by the people who uses one type of welding and ignore everything else. This is done now - by having ten related folders holding related pages.
Each page as a main menu at top and "sub menu" at bottom to link the related products pages.

The related content folders prompted the thought of an easier way to update sections of the website without having to rebuild the main menu on 98 pages!

Each "micro site" would have around 10 pages - some may have a few more.

The actual bulk of the content changes very little - machines become obsolete and have replacements or model upgrades etc,. So changes to content are selective and leave most none similar content unchanged.

Question: Is my idea of "micro sites" good SEO or likely to confuse google et al?

I would appreciate opinions.

TIA

edbr
01-30-2015, 04:41 AM
seems like a bad idea to me, the main purpose is welding so 10 sites would just split any juice it has or will get into 10 sites.
sounds like it needs organising better . categories can be organised
having to rebuild the main menu on 98 pages!
use includes and update one file

vinnyvangogh
01-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Hi, As I said.. the current files are in folders such as "Products" inside are other folders each holding pages of related products.

In my thinking the linked pages in folders are the same as creating a micro site.

I have looked all over DW CS6 and cannot find any "includes" option...

edbr
01-31-2015, 12:07 AM
bit lost as to what you define micro site as.
you can include using php(or ASP etc) or include as an object in html

vinnyvangogh
01-31-2015, 12:14 AM
bit lost as to what you define micro site as.
you can include using php(or ASP etc) or include as an object in html

"Micro site" small self contained website with a few pages - no contact or "main" website stuff.

Which is basically what is there using single pages with a sub menu to the few relevant pages which are currently in different folders - But also included is the main site top menu to every other page.

PHP,ASP... etc, is above my feeble - ageing - brain.

Its not a major issue I suppose - just looking to minimise work later on.

edbr
01-31-2015, 02:27 AM
you mean same domain just organising in folders? if so its not much of an issue but you should look at pages that currently have any seo juice or frequent visitors and add som 301 redirects or you could lose out a bit.
php includes with pages having >php as apposed to .html
<?php include( "incl/menu.php"); ?>
or in html
<object data="incl/menu.php"></object>