PDA

View Full Version : Forms that don't work right

Tomcat104
01-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Sorry to have to ask foe for help again guys but I've got 2 forms on a page and they have been driving me crazy.

The problem as I see it is they look like they are in the Content Div (they are supposed to be) but they act like they are in the Footer Div. But this happens only on the index.html page where these 2 forms are located..

Would someone please look at it and tell this old boy what I'm doing wrong?

David

www.wolf359.biz (http://www.wolf359.biz)

I had a massive stroke in 2004 and lost part of my memory, if I have asked this question before I am truly sorry. I've looked on all the post and I have tried to solve my problem for several days before I wrote.

edbr
01-12-2015, 12:15 AM
i actually dont see what yu mean. but i see you dont have a closing </html> tag after </body>

i would also lose those empty <p> </p> tags

Tomcat104
01-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks so much for the response. I haven't finished or cleaned up (obviously) the site. I think I put in all the P-TAGS to achieve the proper spacing though. (I'm not feeling very good today :sad: & don't feel like looking.)

It seems like I had the footer appearing way up in the page (Contact page??) and had to put them there to get the footer to "go back where it was supposed to be". Maybe the missing </html> tag will help that, I have no idea.

I think I'll start the whole site over (tomorrow or next day) and see if I can "avoid" my mistake.

What is your opinion on "Fluid Grid Layouts" versus "Liquid layouts"? I have a few clients who have no desire at all for a mobile phone presence and I'm trying to talk myself into just making a working FGL anyway.

edbr
01-13-2015, 12:17 AM
i think these days its best to start a new design with mobiles in mind. needs and opinions change and it is easier than retro fitting sites (possibly) in the future.
Over the break i was toying around with cms and came across Concrete5 which has a VERY small learning curve compared with others ive seen, and many free plugins. why not have alook at that.
if you want to try on your computer you will need local sever to use it (easy php,wamp xxamp for windows)

Tomcat104
01-13-2015, 04:45 PM
I really appreciate your opinion on FGL and you thoughts about Concrete5. I briefly looked at it but really don't care to switch. I've worked in Dremweaver since 1998 and really don't want to start over.

Please forgive my "forgetfulness", I (for the last 10 years since my stroke) have a need & desire for a quick & correct answer when I'm working with DW. I think that's because I like it. I have the same problem with other programs like Word & Excel which are pretty easy programs. It just happens, I usually recall "it" as clear as day in 3 - 5 days.

I look at Dreamweaver differently, like I said, I like it and find it to be good therapy for me. When I find myself in trouble and can't find the answer I know there are good people (like you) to help me here.

Again, many thanks!

Ricky55
01-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Concrete is a cms it has nothing to do with not using Dreamweaver. Fluid grids and liquid layouts are the same thing.

Yes you should be using percentages not pixels to define your widths and css media queries to control the layout at different screen sizes. This is collectively known as responsive web design and if you are building websites for paying clients you should be using responsive web design IMO unless you have a good reason not to.

Leaving empty p tags to control spacing is just plain wrong so when you're feeling up to it I'd remove them.

Good luck.

Tomcat104
01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Ricky55,

I have been using "liquid" layouts for a long time. If I use "fixed" now it's a mistake; plain and simple.

I was referring to a particular client in my past post. He actually said he wanted a site and that he had absolutely did not want his customers to use a phone. Why not??? I have no idea.

FGL layouts are new to me. I've done a few simple ones. Now I'm trying to "up my game".

I only do websites for friends or past clients of my graphics company that I know pretty well.

You've helped me a while back and if I didn't say it then; THANK YOU. This site has proven to be most helpful because or the people.

edbr
01-14-2015, 01:46 AM
Concrete is a cms it has nothing to do with not using Dreamweaver. Fluid grids and liquid layouts are the same thing.
completely right , i was wandering a bit and thought it might be an easy answer or the poster.:)