PDA

View Full Version : Design looks wrong in IE

nikwak
12-27-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't know if this is the correct place on the Forums but I am having a problem with a site. The Menu bar works perfectly well in Chrome (resizing when page is small. But IE drops the last button on the menu bar down to below the first button and it is nigh impossible to click the link.
the web address I am having problems with is: www.valtosskye.co.uk
Can someone throw some light on it for me?
Nick

Ricky55
12-27-2014, 06:44 PM
It's also doing this on the iPad. All browsers render pages slightly differently so it's really important you check your website in all browsers. Internet explorer is especially poor, particularily versions 8 and older.

I'm on my iPad at the moment so I can't really look at the code.

All that's happening is the nav bar doesn't have room to fit your button. You can solve this by making the padding on the buttons slightly less. Or give each button a specific width in pixels. You can only do this on a fixed width design by the way.

if you do give each button or link a specific width you'll need to bear in mind the width of your light grey border.

nikwak
12-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Have just this minute figured it out: I had 2 different CSS sheets one called Menu1 and the other Menu2 the page was obviously confused so when I deleted Menu1 it all worked out.
Thanks anyway for your insight it's much appreciated

Ricky55
12-27-2014, 08:18 PM
No problem I'm pleased you've found a solution.

d a v e
12-28-2014, 01:41 PM
in firefox on win7 the hover on the naviagtion uses smaller text and it kind of shrinks and makes the whole naviagtion jump ...

this should probably be "a/one minute's..." or "a few minutes' walk"
"The house is minutes walk..." left align your text, increase the line height and the contrast too ;)

why use images for buttons? trusty html and css :)

Ricky55
12-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Where has he used images? Looked like real text to me.

d a v e
12-28-2014, 08:10 PM
sorry - wasn't specific
the next 4 pages in the nav after home ;)

text? almost everypage - http://www.valtosskye.co.uk/activities.html is particularly tiring to read because the line length is too long, the line height is too mean, the contrast could be increased, and it could be split into a couple or three paragraphs. pity if people miss out because they canš't be bothered to read the text.

Ricky55
12-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Aye it could use some design tweaks.

I really don't like text that's been centered either.