PDA

View Full Version : having trouble with a background image in css

jataman2612
11-15-2014, 11:24 PM
here is my css for the page. i get nothing in return.

body { background: url(css/images/background.jpg) repeat-y; }

d a v e
11-16-2014, 07:28 AM
and neither do we :)
post a link to the page. check your paths. make sure everything is uploaded to the server

jataman2612
11-16-2014, 05:15 PM
oh I'm new to this site so I thought I could just post the code and get help. I don't have it on a server b/c its not done yet. I didn't think it was good for a site to be until it was completed.

If I'm wrong please explain why.

d a v e
11-16-2014, 08:59 PM
i asked if you'd checked the paths - is the image in that folder? and is it uploaded to the server which is the limit to the help we can offer without any more to go on :)

true you usually don't have a development site live but you can upload it to a testing directory - either on your own or a client's server
e.g. my-site.com/testing/beta1/index.php
kind of thing

so: check the paths - is the image in the css/images folder; is it uploaded
does it have *exactly* the same spelling and CASE?
is it the right size on the server? e.g. 23kb and not something smaller than it is locally on your own HD (which would be a sign that it corrupted on upload - if so delete the image and upload it again
is the image rgb (not cmyk)?
do you have any other css rules overriding this one?
is the stylesheet in the right place and uploaded and linked correctly in the html?

is it the sort of image that's made to repeat vertically - it only takes a typo to think you're repeating horizontally when you mean vertically