PDA

View Full Version : How to create alert message/push notification in Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 using Phonegap Build Service?

aahedi
09-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Anyone help me? I want to create custom alert message / push notification like native Android. I only want to create that using Dreamweaver and Phonegap Build Service in Dreamweaver. I only want edit config.xml and just embed javascript on index.html without Eclipse. How to do it??

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a novice at this but I'm learning to develop android apps using Javascript+html5 in Dreamweaver CS6 using the Phone Gap Build service.

For example: I want to setup Push Plugin to send push notifications to the apps. The instructions on Github say to edit AndroidManifest.xml. I don't have this file. In fact I don't seem to have any of the files present in the directories they say they should be in.

Can anyone explain how I can install the push plugin as I can't find any instructions online that make sense to me.

Have you found a solution? If so, would you like share to me?

Thank you very much!

Ricky55
09-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Building Apps for mobile isn't the domain or the beginner.

You'd only really choose to build using Phone Gap i.e. using web technologies if you already know web technologies i.e. you know HTML, CSS and Javascript, that's the whole point of Phone Gap.

If you don't already know these technologies well and you want to build native apps for Android then you'd be better learning Java as this is the language that Android app developers use.

Regarding your question you might have more joy on the Adobe forums, I've not used Phone Gap Build and I've not heard of anyone on here using it either unless I'm mistaken.

Good Luck ;)

edbr
09-21-2014, 09:08 PM
There are some starter files on github that will give you a basic setup for an app. I believe its a hello world app but will give you all the file structure you need to begin.
as Rick says i also have not used dreamweaver for this. but from looks it is similar to the eclipse usage of phonegap sdk and should give you a full set of files.
its a learnibg curve but may well be worth it.
There is a lot of differing views re native apps or html based and i would say this might be a better way of going than learning Java as that is a steeper learning curve .

Ricky55
09-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Just depends what you want to do / how much you already know.

If you just want to build one app and you know some HTML, CSS and some Javascript then Phone Gap is a no brainer.

If on the other hand you don't already know HTML, CSS and javascript that well and you want to get into app development you'd be far better off learning java. Sure its got a steeper learning curve but its going to prove so much more powerful and useful in the end. And it's the proper tool for the job.

As I said in my previous post, the whole point of Phone Gap is to lower the point of entry to app development for web designers and devs that already know web technologies.

That's how I would approach it anyway :)

Cheers

BTW, if you are just looking for easy way to build apps there are websites that let you do this. Not that powerful but might be powerful enough unless learning is the main goal.

edbr
09-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Re push notification and a reasonable look at app design here. http://thenextweb.com/dd/2013/02/09/would-push-notifications-for-html5-apps-kill-native-apps/