PDA

View Full Version : spacing

mustangdesigner
02-14-2014, 09:26 PM
How do I get rid of the annoying spacing between paragraphs that is built into the CSS. Have tried looking through several menus and directly at code but can't seem to find the right place to change this.

Also, can we no longer center an image on the page?

gentleone
02-14-2014, 10:46 PM
How do I get rid of the annoying spacing between paragraphs that is built into the CSS. Have tried looking through several menus and directly at code but can't seem to find the right place to change this.
I don't know how to do it in Design View either, but browsers set default CSS values to certain HTML elements and tags. Look into CSS resets, to start your styling with a clean sheet so to speak.
A paragraph tag has a default margin, so in your CSS you can do this to remove it:

p { margin: 0 }

Also, can we no longer center an image on the page?
Sure you can, but this depends on how the image is placed in the HTML. Do you have a link/url to your web page so we can have a look?

d a v e
02-15-2014, 10:15 AM
If you are going to remove those "annoying" margins then replace them with proper first line indentations (to show where a new paragraph starts) but of course never on the first paragraph in a section ;). oh and use css :first-line and first-child to remove the first paragraph's indentation.

mustangdesigner
02-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Sorry for the use of the term annoying. I was referring mostly to the spacing being too large between heading and paragraphs (not left and right margins). I would like the paragraph to hug the bottom of the heading and then have space above the next heading.

As far as the image, the site isn't visible yet but I use Import Image and then in right click to move image right or left of text. But I have an image I would like to center at the bottom of the body copy and that is not an option on right click so wondering where else to set that. Also need to put more spacing around photos next to text without adding a colored border to the image.

Thanks for you help!

gentleone
02-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Headings has also default margins, so change them to whatever you want in your CSS.

I don't know either how to center an image in Design View and if you need spacing around your images set a margin to those images.

mustangdesigner
03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
gentleone: previously you could adjust the wrap around an image by changing the V and H values in the inspector. That no longer is available. If I click on the image and have only current CSS styles in design view, whenever I add a "Margin" it tells me that is set in the template, even though the image is within an editable region. I feel like an idiot but where do I set the margin in design view--although I work in split view and could do minor code editing as well

gentleone
03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
They were removed, because the code that got written in the HTML by DW is deprecated (for a long time now).
To position and align elements we must use CSS properties like margin, padding, floats and where you have to add those in design view, I don't know (I haven't been in design view for a long, long time) and I never used DW template files back then either, so my answer doesn't help you much I guess.... sorry for that!

edbr
03-03-2014, 01:20 AM
not sure either but there is an option in the properties>css panel to edit any property. (you might have to assign a class to it first though in the case of an image) you will then get a wizard to help you