PDA

View Full Version : scout and compass

d a v e
12-02-2013, 09:06 AM
been getting into scout and scss - yes i know i can install via terminal but for ease of use for a beginner like me i wanted to use a GUI ;)

anway my scss works fine - outputs to compress css but i can't find how to use compass e.g. mixins in my stylesheets.

at the top of my scss if i have (just) this
@import "compass";

i get
"Sass::SyntaxError: File to import not found or unreadable: compass.
Load path: /Users/david/Desktop
Use --trace for backtrace.
[Finished in 0.2s with exit code 1]"

i've been googling for a week and simply can't find out how to link, import or otherwise see the compass functions :(

(using scout and sublime text on mac and pc)

edbr
12-03-2013, 01:25 AM
brave man. this looks interesting i have lacked the courage to dabble.
i 'll search as well as i would love to see how this progresses

I dont see any option except installing in command line. and it looks ( i think) from the error that the installation path is incorrect as it is looking on your desktop rather than your project. but then i might be talking cowpoop. ill try installing also later

edbr
12-03-2013, 01:38 AM
have you tried this app? http://koala-app.com/

d a v e
12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
i have tried koala but i preferred scout. i could just use terminal on mac but i thought scout might make it easer for the environment of pc and mac.

i think sass is a bit like photoshop in the way that it can be very powerful and takes awhile to learn, but you can start with the basics - even stuff like variables (define a colour e.g. $brand-color then you use it anywhere in your stylesheets and only need to change it one place.

also using sass means you can automatically produce a minified (css) stylesheet but still have the full scss one to deubg ;)

my project is on the desktop - you just point scout to the input/output folders for the project, in the instance desktop. i can find nowhere on the documentation or online on how to invoke compass :(

i could just use terminal but i'm a mac virgin and read about how you're not supposed to use the system ruby or you are or ... confused ;) i got sass working fine in terminal but thought scout might be safer for me cos it has a self contained ruby environment.

i might just take another look at koala in the meantime ;)

domedia
12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
So Ruby is required to run SASS?

d a v e
12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
i... er yeah. on a mac if you don't use a graphical preprocessor you need to install ruby gem and sass

http://sass-lang.com/

edbr
12-04-2013, 01:11 AM
installed but wa as far as time allowed. hope you keep us posted on this

d a v e
12-04-2013, 07:16 AM
will do ;)

edbr
12-04-2013, 08:57 AM
saw an interesy\ting , made it work this is what i did here form a poster using prepos
http://alphapixels.com/prepros/docs/

d a v e
12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
i looked at prepros too but seemed more than i needed - will look again next week (tomorrow is independence day/weekend in Finland ;)

d a v e
12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
looked at prepros again but my compass gem seems to be missing (maybe why not working in scout then ;)) and seems difficult to install now i've upgraded to maveriks ...

edbr
12-10-2013, 01:29 AM
havent had much time but this seems a lot like herding cats so far. friend of mine uses jetbrains which he thinks has some support but not convinced so far. i will try prepros if i get time also this week

d a v e
12-12-2013, 11:02 AM
i think it might be my compass installation or just my lack of experience with the whole thing ;)

will persevere when i have time :)

d a v e
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
still not getting errors trying to use compass in prepros :(
damn.

d a v e
12-20-2013, 09:34 AM
oops i mean still getting errors ;)

edbr
12-21-2013, 01:36 AM
i still havent ha any spare time but i got Code lobster which is a nice IDE. the saas is not included in the free version but when i first used the free version they give you a time trial for more goodies . I will buy the lite version soon I think as im a cheapskate just using the free one sometimes. anyhoo have a look http://www.codelobster.com/sass_less.html

edbr
02-14-2014, 02:29 AM
I just bought the light verion so ill see if it is of any use. but i was correct that on first download they will give yyou a trial of the features for 30 days

edbr
04-28-2014, 03:28 AM
product of a boring sunday, i found a php solution for sass, although i was looking at frameworks and it lead me there
tested and working but that's as far as i got, uses a php watcher file to do the updates not sure its what you want but is an easy try out without ruby etc . any hoo here it is with a test file ,

for information http://www.dev-metal.com/compile-sass-to-css-with-pure-php-automatically/

d a v e
04-28-2014, 04:30 PM
using sublime i can easily get it to work in scss and output to compressed css but it's the compass framework implementation i'm missing ... ;)

edbr
04-29-2014, 07:07 AM
ah, sorry i just saw that and thought it might help. actually todayi was playing with koala and scout and had some issues, finally i re installed ruby but this time made sure i ticked the add ruby executables to your path and they then both installed without problem.( using windows ruby installer)

Ricky55
05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Have you got this working now Dave? I use Compass on every project. I use Codekit for the Mac but Ive had it working fine with the terminal too.

Let me know and i'll help you out if you still need it.

Cheers

Richard

d a v e
05-02-2014, 06:19 PM
no i haven't got compass working yet... i'm not on a mac any more now that i got made redundant just my lowly pc at home :)

i bought sublime text 2 now and got that working fine with Sass (builds automatically on save and using live update in firefox that all works fine)

i have installed compass through terminal on pc but there's a step i'm missing on how to get it into my projects.

i'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to tecvhnical things being more of a designer than a developer but i usually get there in the end so some help would be much appreciated ;)

edbr
05-03-2014, 02:38 AM
well i had similar but as i said on reinstalling ruby i saw i had missed the box to add a path , all hunky dory after that using Scout,

d a v e
05-05-2014, 03:33 PM
@ ed - i think i tried but will check ;)

don't have so much time to play when my parents are visiting for 3 weeks :)