PDA

View Full Version : Master detail page creation

msigola99
07-09-2013, 10:18 PM
May someone help me. Im trying to create a master detail page but i dont want to use a mysql database cause the info to put on the details page is a lot. should i import this data. how do i do all this. Im new to web development, php, mysql.

Thanx in advance

edbr
07-10-2013, 02:11 AM
will need a bit more description of what you want to include and under what conditions will show the detail page. but probaly the database can carry links to the data. so give us some more information

msigola99
07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
My master page will have headings with short descriptions, and i want these descriptions to be elaborated with full details on the details page. Each heading on the detail page is a page long data with links, topics and sub-headings and paragraphs.

I just dont want to create plenty of separate pages for each heading i.e; the about us page will have subheadings; our history, our objectives, our mission, our beliefs etc. each of these linked to a single detail page.....im using dreamweaver CS5

edbr
07-11-2013, 02:15 AM
i would use the links to a $_GET variable so if you had for example
a link
<a href="detailpage.php?id=about">A link</a>
on the detail page you would gather that as a variable $_GET['id'].
next you would use an if or switch to get what you want
this could be as includes or stuff from a database

msigola99
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
OK! since im new to wamp mysql and php, ho would i make includes on a database/tables ive created...and how do i make these variables ($_GET['id']) on my master detail php pages......

plz bare with me on this one...thanx

edbr
07-12-2013, 01:52 AM
its not a 2 minute leeson but in basis its identifying the $_GET value
for example $id= $_GET['id'];
then if your page is detail.php?id=user
$id would now be user. echo $id:
based on that you could use a select statement such as
$sql = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE `field` = $id;

you can then echo/print the data from there based on the selection.
this depends on the design of your database and if there are constant sections.

using conditions could be

if ($id ==uiser){
//do stuff}
else {
//do something else
}

this why i asked about detail.m i would advise you to do a quick read of these options and would suggest tizag.com that IMO explains in a very clear way. there are some primers on this forum for php in the tutorial section which i believe are also good.