PDA

View Full Version : Google webmaster tools - problems!

vinnyvangogh
06-23-2013, 04:47 AM
I am doing battle with Google webmaster tools!

The problems started when I was asked to re-build a website. I added it to my Google account. Added a sitemap.xml and robots.txt to phase out some dead folders.

Now I get this in HTML Improvements.

Pages with duplicate title tags.
Index of /Downloads/
/Downloads/
/Downloads/?sortby=1
/Downloads/?sortby=2
/Downloads/?sortby=6

Index of /Downloads/DL_Store/
/Downloads/DL_Store/
/Downloads/DL_Store/?sortby=2
/Downloads/DL_Store/?sortby=7

What/where is ?sortby

"It" is calling them duplicate pages - there is just one download page with links.

Any advice would be helpful and gratefully received.

TIA

edbr
06-23-2013, 08:15 AM
?sortby=2 is a $_GET
im guessing its on paginated pages. hard to say with out seeimng the actual link.

vinnyvangogh
06-23-2013, 01:01 PM
?sortby=2 is a $_GET
im guessing its on paginated pages. hard to say with out seeing the actual link.

I am banned by sites owner of giving any complete URLs ! When I did the website in 2005 I used P7 a lot and hitting a few problems I put up links for advice, then the site owner got wacked with a load of emails telling him I was in trouble and asking for help..but THEY would have no problems..etc,.

In the root there is a "Downloads" folder - which holds 3 html pages and in that folder is a sub-directory - "DL_Store - which holds a shed load of PDFS and word docs.

Nothing I do shifts the ?sortby= which seem to be growing in number over time.

edbr
06-24-2013, 12:18 AM
did you try excluding bots from that folder using .htaccess?

vinnyvangogh
06-24-2013, 12:54 PM
I disallowed using a robots text - then Google gave me busted links for every PDF. When I changed the robots it removed most of the errors notified, listed 404 s for pages that never existed and added these sortbys.

This is a process over the last 4/5 months.. Google as you know does not do anything fast --except make money!

vinnyvangogh
06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Back Again!
Wood and Tree's - I was looking for a problem being confused by the sortbys thing.
I am looking under "HTML Improvements.. in Google master web tools.
The actual heading is "Pages with duplicate title tags".
As mentioned there are 3 html pages "downloads.html" "Disclaimer.html" and "DL_Information.html" - for simplicity I just titled the page with the same name.
So, logically, there is no page with a duplicate title. There are no duplicate tags hidden away!

A Google search for sortby returns reams of PHP related info...
These are the only sins returned.

Although my next issue is how to remove the 6 folders holding clones of the master site in different languages.. without upsetting Google.

edbr
06-25-2013, 02:04 AM
This is a process over the last 4/5 months.. Google as you know does not do anything fast --except make money!
yes getting errors removed is frustrating . if you let it get to you that is.

ravi12
06-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Google webmaster tool use in every website design and Internet marketing. This is rebuild website in search is automatic with out SEO work.