PDA

View Full Version : Best Web Hosting Provider

Crumpy1
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I am just about to purchase web space for my new website.

Previously I have used GoDaddy who offered poor service and bad PHP support on their servers so i do not wish to use these again.

I have also used and are still using hostmysite.com. I find their service overall to be ok, however getting any support from them is difficult.

What do you guys recommend as a good provider? I obviously want it to be as cheap as possible but do want a reliable, good customer service provider.

I have heard hostgator are suppost to be ok, but would like to know who you guys use.

Thanks

ragortue
03-10-2015, 04:24 PM
HG I think recently has been pretty much aggressive on marketing. Sure they have tons of discounts for new user signups, but I think their tech support service could use a little upgrade.

Ricky55
03-14-2015, 07:56 PM
I use media temple very happy with them.

vinnyvangogh
03-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I am just about to purchase web space for my new website.

Previously I have used GoDaddy who offered poor service and bad PHP support on their servers so i do not wish to use these again.

I have also used and are still using hostmysite.com. I find their service overall to be ok, however getting any support from them is difficult.

What do you guys recommend as a good provider? I obviously want it to be as cheap as possible but do want a reliable, good customer service provider.

I have heard hostgator are suppost to be ok, but would like to know who you guys use.

Thanks

No such things as a good hosting company! They are there to make money.
You need to decide what you want a server to do.... then look for a hosting that offers what you want and at a right price.

I went for 1&1 Uk "shared hosting". Been there 10 years! in truth for simple hosting and the facility to have unlimited domains - seemed like a good deal.
BUT as webs are getting more technical to create - I do not have a cPanel and no access to the Apache rewrite engine - and have spent 2 weeks now trying to find somebody in the world who knows how to get a "simple Redirect 301" .htaccess file to function. Linux platform Apache engine... Support says it will work... but have not yet given any reason why it will not!

edbr
03-25-2015, 02:27 AM
@vinnyvangogh are you sure .htaccess is not working? i would be surprised make a theread and post the complete .htaccess code and we can check it
or make a new .htaccess file fill it with gobbledygook upload it and then when you try to access your site you will get a 500 server error

vinnyvangogh
03-26-2015, 03:41 AM
@vinnyvangogh are you sure .htaccess is not working? i would be surprised make a theread and post the complete .htaccess code and we can check it
or make a new .htaccess file fill it with gobbledygook upload it and then when you try to access your site you will get a 500 server error

Its a long story! I will title redirect saga!

Ricky55
03-29-2015, 03:40 AM
No such things as a good hosting company! They are there to make money.

All companies exist to make money that doesn't mean that they are all bad. It sounds like you've had a bad experience with some cheap shared hosting, it's not always this way.

Like most things you often get what you pay for.

vinnyvangogh
03-29-2015, 11:15 PM
I do not disagree with what you say... however... anybody answering any question on any forum - is basically passing an opinion based in the person experiences of the subject matter.

See my recent posts with regard my hosts and the problems encountered - and I have been with that host since December 2003. My opinion has been formed over 12 years.
As for opinions of any product/service- unless and until all options have been used, opinions can only relate to the overall experience.
My hosts have been satisfactory for my basic hosting needs - but in the past 3 years or so have starting changing things such as tagging a domain for cancellation -say- 8 months before expiration day... and in my case it went off my domain list and not ftp accessible. My hosts are - as far as I can see - UK division of an American based hosting company.. and in trying to resolve my recent problems - I checked out the USA company... they too get bad reviews.

Like most things you often get what you pay for.
But only if the company sticks to its terms of trading and employs staff who are qualified to do their jobs. "Script" readers in "support" have recently been the main cause of my recent problems.
"just saying" as "they" say!

Ricky55
03-30-2015, 05:11 PM
You're just stating the obvious.

vinnyvangogh
03-30-2015, 10:01 PM
You're just stating the obvious.

I stated my opinion - you stated yours......end of

Ricky55
03-30-2015, 10:08 PM
I stated my opinion - you stated yours......end of

You've done it again. ;)