PDA

View Full Version : Several questions and how much to charge

Gnarly
06-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Greetings Web Designers,

My boss has just asked me to redesign our company website. It's been about a year since I've done any web design, and I'm feeling sort of rusty. He immediately asked for three things I've never done before, so I was hoping some of you with more experience might be willing to lend a hand.

Firstly, he owns three URLs, and would like two of them to redirect into a "mother site". I have no idea how to do it!

Next, he wants the "mother site" to be a split-screen design, with one company's website on the left side, and the other on the right. I've never done this before. Frankly, I would rather make two sites, and just cross link them. I have googled and found some tuts on this, though not a good example yet.

He also wants visitors to be able to prepay for services, so I need a shopping cart. There would also need to be an option for date and time input. And I would need to install one on each side of the layout. I remember reading good things about one called ZenCart, I think. Is that a good place to start?

Lastly, I really have no idea what to charge for all of this. I've made a few websites before, and I have always undersold myself in the past. I want to make it worth my time, but I don't want to ask too much.
It's basically:
- 2 redirects
- The design of a split layout single page site, featuring:
- 2 email links
- 2 prepay options
- 3 or 4 blurbs about services
- 1 logo design
- And links to facebook, youtube, and twitter.
- Also he mentioned google ad words, which I know nothing about.

Sorry for the loooong post. I'm just trying to cover all the bases before I begin. Any input would be appreciated!

edbr
06-08-2013, 01:12 AM
redirects can be done using 301 redirects, if you go to the site control panel it can be done from there , if not add a .htaccess file with the redirect Redirect 301 / http://www.mynewwebsite.com

2 sites on one page ?? well yes you are right its a bad idea from seo standing and from visitors confusion i would think.
you can use i frames to add content from other sites .
many carts are around ands many free ones, personally i like prestashop but zencart is an option. open cart magento also for example.
download a few install a local server and test them or see the demos as to which suits best.
as to prepay for services, its a question of setting up your cart i would say or do you mean a paid membership to the site (s)?

adding links to social sites are well documented on each of them as they want you to do it
adwords is google's pay for clicks that the visitors do while on your site. sign up ands you will get the info on how to add it.
To be honest it sounds like your client is a knows a bit and therefore potentially harmful to himself kind of client.
costing is really (IMO) a market pricing, where you are what your competition is charging as well as what the client wants and of course your own ability to produce. Ive seen simple websites offered for $50 US here in Indonesia for example, scary but true

Gnarly
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
redirects can be done using 301 redirects, if you go to the site control panel it can be done from there , if not add a .htaccess file with the redirect Redirect 301 / http://www.mynewwebsite.com

2 sites on one page ?? well yes you are right its a bad idea from seo standing and from visitors confusion i would think.
you can use i frames to add content from other sites .
many carts are around ands many free ones, personally i like prestashop but zencart is an option. open cart magento also for example.
download a few install a local server and test them or see the demos as to which suits best.
as to prepay for services, its a question of setting up your cart i would say or do you mean a paid membership to the site (s)?

adding links to social sites are well documented on each of them as they want you to do it
adwords is google's pay for clicks that the visitors do while on your site. sign up ands you will get the info on how to add it.
To be honest it sounds like your client is a knows a bit and therefore potentially harmful to himself kind of client.
costing is really (IMO) a market pricing, where you are what your competition is charging as well as what the client wants and of course your own ability to produce. Ive seen simple websites offered for $50 US here in Indonesia for example, scary but true

$50! That is crazy. I'm really not sure what others in my area are charging for similar projects. I'm thinking about charging a flat rate of $1000-$2000 based on some freelance guides I've found.

I'm glad you agree on the split-page being a bad idea. Can you explain why this would be bad in terms of SEO? Maybe if it makes sense to me, it will make sense to him.

I'll check out those cart suggestions... We are a transportation company, so it would be to pre-order transportation services.

edbr
06-10-2013, 03:30 AM
seo relevance will be divided for the page, if different services then it will damage the relevance of the page in search engine terms, its just no purpose to it

Gnarly
06-10-2013, 06:20 PM
That makes sense edbr... thanks for the reply.

Corrosive
06-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Next, he wants the "mother site" to be a split-screen design, with one company's website on the left side, and the other on the right.

Nearly spat my cup of tea at my monitor when I read this. No offence to your boss but that's the worst idea I've heard this year (not bad as longest day today). How the hell will that work for visitors, SEO and displaying the website(s) on mobile devices? The time to stop ignoring the needs of mobile users was at least 3 years ago... Please just say 'it can't be done' and move on.

Gnarly
06-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Nearly spat my cup of tea at my monitor when I read this. No offence to your boss but that's the worst idea I've heard this year (not bad as longest day today). How the hell will that work for visitors, SEO and displaying the website(s) on mobile devices? The time to stop ignoring the needs of mobile users was at least 3 years ago... Please just say 'it can't be done' and move on.

Lol @ worst idea of the year. Yeah, that would be a nightmare on a mobile.
It's looking like what I felt was a reasonable estimate was too high for him, so might not have to deal with it at all.