PDA

View Full Version : effect of _target="blank" in tablets and phones?

jmichae3
05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
what is the effect of target="_blank" in tablets and phones?

phones - my guess is that phones are a one-trick pony (?) which can only run 1 browser at a time and don't have tabs. my guess is none of them by default do tabs and are also a 1-trick pony. so does it ignore target="_blank"? or does it start a new browser and background the old one, or does it start a new tab?

tablets - depending on tyhe browser, it may have tabs or it may not - safari doesn't. but I don't know anything about the default android browser, my guess is it probably doesn't do tabs and is also a 1-trick pony. so does it ignore target="_blank"? or does it start a new browser and background the old one, or does it start a new tab?

I don't have a tablet, and I don't have a working android phone. but I do have a blackberry phone to test with.

jmichae3
05-22-2013, 11:42 PM
as it turns out, phones DO have tabs. so tablets probably do too...

Corrosive
05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Phone browsers now do pretty much everything that desktop browsers do. I run Chrome on my Android phone and target="_blank" opens another tab as expected.

domedia
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't think the 'target' attribute has ever been part of an HTML standard to be honest..

Using JS and window.open is an option as well.