PDA

View Full Version : Unlink Page from Template

Number10
04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Cheers All.

Has been a while since I have been on this forum, Have another silly question to ask, as usual. Have a website which build with template, I want to unlink a page or two so I can use and not be restricted on text and how page is formatted. Or is there a way to change template so I can use free form text and format. (eg. want to be able to use left margin on some pages and centre on other pages, also tab from left and use bullets)

Any ideas that would help me would be great. Or do just re build and not use template??

Thanks
Number10 :oops:

edbr
04-04-2013, 02:02 AM
You have reached the point where dw templates lose their appeal. yes i think ocan unlink or add some editable regions, But if the site isnt too big I would seriously consider using includes to add the shared portions, ie menu header, footer etc. so universal changes can be made in one file ( the included file) for any part

edbr
04-04-2013, 04:43 AM
out of curiosity i looked at templates and created a page. open the page and go to modify>templates >dettach from template and it will remove all template specific code

edbr
04-04-2013, 05:08 AM
heres a way to include with html pages, make a folder in this case named incl and add yur include files and this will fetch them

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body><object name="foo" type="text/html" data="incl/menu.php"/>
</body>
</html>

Number10
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks heaps for this, will try and see how I go.
Good to be back on this forum.

Cheers
Number10

Ricky55
04-05-2013, 06:31 AM
heres a way to include with html pages, make a folder in this case named incl and add yur include files and this will fetch them

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body><object name="foo" type="text/html" data="incl/menu.php"/>
</body>
</html>

Hi Ed, I've never seen that code used before. I've seen the object tag used to embed flash etc but never to include a php file.

Would you use this rather than a php include so you don't need to run a local server? I.e. the host file could have a .html extension?

Finally how is this approach supported / viewed as a technique?

Just curious.

Cheers mate

edbr
04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
no i always use php personally. but came across this and it is fine to work with html pages as long as it uses <!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
so a nice one to use in some cases. as for suport im noy sure but as long as object is not depreciated i think it will be gold