PDA

View Full Version : Intergrating Video to website

Crumpy1
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I am looking to intergrate 3 videos into a website.

These are to long to be a .swf or .flv.

I need to a reliable way of doing this, that streams as it loads, i have read that uploading to youtube and making the videos private is a good way, but wondered if this is the best way.

I would rather not use a third party to do this if i can, just in case it ever went down etc, but will do if i must.

Cheers

Ricky55
02-26-2013, 05:21 PM
YouTube are owned by Google and believe me they'll have much more reliable servers than any hosting you can get your hands on so I wouldn't worry about the services going down.

There are a few ways of tackling this.

You could use either YouTube or Vimeo or both or you could use a paid for service such as http://vzaar.com these guys offer great video hosting which come with some great players.

Or you could host the videos yourself and play them via HTML5 and Flash.

Crumpy1
02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info, out of the youtube or HTML5 options which would you recommend?

I do not want to pay for media hosting, would rather look at free options first.

vinnyvangogh
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info, out of the youtube or HTML5 options which would you recommend?

I do not want to pay for media hosting, would rather look at free options first.

Since 2005 I had 8 .mpg videos I converted to .flv format running from the clients server.. without any issues really.
BUT they just had new .MP4 videos made in widescreen and each about 4 minutes long. I uploaded all the videos to their youTube channel and use these to display on the web pages. There are many advantages to this, but for me a downside is having the youTube logo on display and basically inviting the viewer to transfer to the youtube page.. which will then display similar products from competitors. Another BUT.. the same in reverse happens with viewers to the competitors pages.

Crumpy1
02-27-2013, 12:19 PM
SI uploaded all the videos to their youTube channel and use these to display on the web pages. There are many advantages to this, but for me a downside is having the youTube logo on display and basically inviting the viewer to transfer to the youtube page.. which will then display similar products from competitors. Another BUT.. the same in reverse happens with viewers to the competitors pages.

Does this advertising issue with youtube still affect unlisted videos?

Youtube's policy states that only people invited to the link can view the video and it cannot be found in other searches or categories within youtube.

vinnyvangogh
03-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Does this advertising issue with youtube still affect unlisted videos?

Youtube's policy states that only people invited to the link can view the video and it cannot be found in other searches or categories within youtube.

I have only just used this option. About 2/3 years ago the client had opened a YouTube account and uploaded 8 product videos.. I have added the links to the web page. When I use it - I get the usual right hand column of similar vids,
I am off back to YT to check out their options - I am assuming there will be business account and a "users" public account.

Back!!
Just checked!! Seems the client left it as Public .. I assume they think it will build up followers or whatever and promote the vids and therefore the company.

Crumpy1
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i have decided to use Youtube, however even when the link is set to UNLISTED it still advertises other videos similar to them.

Thanks for the help with this!

gentleone
03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback, i have decided to use Youtube, however even when the link is set to UNLISTED it still advertises other videos similar to them
By default this option is ticked when you generate the iframe code. If you do share > embed, you see a checkbox ticked which says: "Show suggested videos when the video finishes". Just untick it!