PDA

View Full Version : Broken Links

vinnyvangogh
02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I have been using DW since Macromedia version 4 and currently using CS6.

I am getting to the final stages in a new web site and using the link checker it showed a number of busted links.. I cleared most but some persist. Even though the links are actually Ok and work fine during a browser view test.
I know some will say ..OK ignore the link checker and get on with it..
BUT there must be a reason for this and I am hoping somebody will know it!

Any help or ideas????

TIA

Arthur

d a v e
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
can you give an example of the sort of broken link?

vinnyvangogh
02-13-2013, 10:48 PM
can you give an example of the sort of broken link?

In this instance I am placing thumbnails with a text link below - I select the text and make the link selecting HTML in the properties bar and using the LINK > folder option to select the a PDF ( for download) I have also deleted that that link and used the "clock face drag and select option.
Using the Link Checker.. I re-lonked from there and corrected items were auto removed from the list.. but a few do not correct from the Link Checker nor even after deleting the link saving the pages.. checking in source code to ensure nothing was left behind and them making a new link - even after -renaming the target file which all work in a browser check - these same few files remain in the " Broken Links" results.
I have used " Recreate Files Cache" repeatedly to see if it will flush out these results.. nothing does!

OK. I know I can ignore them and get on with life... but would like to know if others have had this and how they cured it.

Another problem encountered is that all links ( except CSS menus) are made manually in the fashion above - yet somehow a few get changed to other target files giving an indication of a good link.. but opening the wrong page or file.

I am using DW CS6 and a P7 Composer magic page template.

TIA

Arthur

Ricky55
02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Just have a look in code view and see whats going on. I can't believe you've used Dreamweaver since version 4 and still rely so heavily on its crappy ui.

vinnyvangogh
02-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Just have a look in code view and see whats going on. I can't believe you've used Dreamweaver since version 4 and still rely so heavily on its crappy ui.

Thanks for your reply......
I am wondering why - if DW is so lacking - that you bother being on a dedicated forum !!:?

Anyway... I solved the problem. Being in the Broken Links report I spent too much time trying to repair the link itself - then actually checking the names/titles I saw they all had "&" - I replaced it with an underscore and ran the link checker again...all gone!!

Woods and tree's comes to mind.

Why use DW.. I am not a pro "web designer" its an hobby for me, I am useless at code.. except being a radio Ham - Morse code! So DW suits me.

Ricky55
02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
This forum is not dedicated to just Dreamweaver, its just a name mate. We discuss all topics relating to web design. Out of the 20 or so categories there is only one pertaining to Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver is a great tool don't get me wrong but to rely purely on its GUI is just plain foolish IMO as it makes solving issues more difficult than they need to be.

Pleased you've solved the issue.

vinnyvangogh
02-19-2013, 02:08 AM
This forum is not dedicated to just Dreamweaver, its just a name mate. We discuss all topics relating to web design. Out of the 20 or so categories there is only one pertaining to Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver is a great tool don't get me wrong but to rely purely on its GUI is just plain foolish IMO as it makes solving issues more difficult than they need to be.

Pleased you've solved the issue.

As I said.. i am useless at coding stuff - so for me DW suits my purpose and i am to ancient to start learning. When I started moving from Tables to Layers was considered a major shift in design thinking!
I checked your site, impressed.

If I can pick your brains on SEO ( I was about to make a new post on this )
I have a site that uses a number of videos. Previously they were .flv files which due to Star Wars with Apple and Adobe... iPads are prevented from using flash player and the .flv vids do not show. In the short term I have embedded vids from their YouTUBE channel. so my questions is...
Do I leave the .flv files in the web structure or can I just delete them to be replaced by MP4 or similar later or leave them online and use robots.txt to phase them out?

Any advice will be welcome

cocoonfx
02-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Ditch the Flv files and use the iframe share options from Youtube. Don't bother streaming video directly from your web host as it will slow the site down.

Ricky55
02-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes I agree with Cocoonfx you need to stop using Flash. You don't have to use YouTube or Vimeo though.

Sometimes you don't want their branding all over your videos. I did a site recently and they wanted to serve their own videos and it works very well.

Doesn't slow the site down as they only loaded when required and they look better suited to the site without the YouTube branding all over them.

I used .mp4 with .webm with HTML5 and provided a Flash fallback.

You can see the site here:

http://www.jaybe.com

I posted about HTML5 video here so this should help to get you started if you choose this path.

http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk/2012/11/jay-be-website-html5-video/

There are times though when YouTube is perfect. Its easy to use and they also have an HTML5 player now. Using YouTube will offer better SEO too as its another way for users to find your site.

On the site I did though we still posted to YouTube and Vimeo so we had the best of both worlds.

HTH

Richard

vinnyvangogh
02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Yes I agree with Cocoonfx you need to stop using Flash. You don't have to use YouTube or Vimeo though.

Sometimes you don't want their branding all over your videos. I did a site recently and they wanted to serve their own videos and it works very well.

Doesn't slow the site down as they only loaded when required and they look better suited to the site without the YouTube branding all over them.

I used .mp4 with .webm with HTML5 and provided a Flash fallback.

You can see the site here:

http://www.jaybe.com

I posted about HTML5 video here so this should help to get you started if you choose this path.

http://www.qwerty-design.co.uk/2012/11/jay-be-website-html5-video/

There are times though when YouTube is perfect. Its easy to use and they also have an HTML5 player now. Using YouTube will offer better SEO too as its another way for users to find your site.

On the site I did though we still posted to YouTube and Vimeo so we had the best of both worlds.

HTH

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for more advice. I have in fact used YouTube hosted vids on the web pages. Its knocked off about 150 meg of vids from the server. BUT as mentioned.. there is a slight resentment to having teh youtUbe logo and a chance that viewers divert off to Utube and see competitors offerings.

I will check out the HTML5 stuff in the next few days.

BTW
The original busted links problem was solved.. once I noticed that each one had 1 or more "&" in the name, once removed.. they cleared off the Broken Links list.

Ricky55
02-25-2013, 12:09 AM
It's easy to implement. Email me if you want the files to get going. The post on my website may make it sound more complicated than it actually is.