PDA

View Full Version : New web build

paul-chambers
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi folks,

Thought I'd ask a question as to how I'm going to base a new website design/build and the basic foundations of it.

What I want to do is have a site that people can join and they can have a small page for themselves once registered, they can then add content/delete content from this page such as pictures, text and so on.

What would be the best way of building the foundations, is using DW wise for a project like this or is their an alternative method that could/should be employed?

Paul

Corrosive
01-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Nothing wrong with using Dreamweaver to set out your design and then perhaps look at some CMS options to make the website work.

Ricky55
01-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Like corrosive says you defo want to be looking at a cms for this, no point in reinventing the wheel even if you have the know how.

If you're wanting to do this quickly you could even buy a theme, always nice to design and build yourself though.

If you used Wordpress for example you'd then set each user up a bad just give them the rights to create content only on certain pages.

jmichae3
02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
that was first thing I thought of was a CMS. they are a pain to configure. might be less work just to simply build your own code.

don't go for joomla. try drupal if you want web content maybe? someone recommended joomla, and I regretted it. have not tried drupal. CMS's 'no html site builders' are notoriously hard for users to use. with joomla I think I must have worked for 2 months 12hr days just to get that thing set up for 5 pages. ugh.

drupal is pretty popular for a cms. many themes are available. maybe a tiny cms would be best,and MUCH easier to config. they do exist. I forget the name. but it implies tiny. if you install such a thing, you have to make sure you keep your CMS up-to-date every few months to keep hackers out.

but if you make your own code, you know it best, and you don't have to update it unless there is a special change to PHP or MySQL... (php more likely!, like deprecation+replacement of a function or change in the way a special var is handled)

any package you install/download you have to update frequently to get required security updates.

jmichae3
02-01-2013, 06:52 AM
by the way, PHP has just had some major change hwich requires a new version of wordpress.