PDA

View Full Version : Cookies Control Plugin Tweaking

Crumpy1
12-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi All,

I have just installed the Cookie Control Plugin from here

http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/index

Has anybody here used or using this? The message pops up on every page of the website. If I accept the cookies then click a link to a different page it tell me again about the cookies.

I want it to show users once only when they visit the site and never again if they accept.

Can this be done?

Cheers

Corrosive
12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Built my own so not used it but the options give you "Pop up by default". Could that be anything to do with it?

Crumpy1
12-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Built my own so not used it but the options give you "Pop up by default". Could that be anything to do with it?

If I turn the pop-up off, I don't think my site will be EU compliant, I am not 100% sure as i only briefly skimmed the rules but i believe UK (and EU) law states that we need to inform users that we are using cookies clearly when they visit the website, if i turn pop ups off it will not say at all, so unless they click the icon, which most won't they will not be able see the cookie message.

I really want it to show them once, if they agree to them never again unless they want to change their settings which they can then click the icon.

I am open to suggestions on different plugins or other ways to do this, this just seemed like the easiest option when browsing google.

Thanks for the help!

Corrosive
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
If I turn the pop-up off, I don't think my site will be EU compliant, I am not 100% sure as i only briefly skimmed the rules but i believe UK (and EU) law states that we need to inform users that we are using cookies clearly when they visit the website, if i turn pop ups off it will not say at all, so unless they click the icon, which most won't they will not be able see the cookie message.

Yes, good point :mrgreen: As I said, I built my own so have you thought about that approach at all? It wasn't that hard to do and a lot of these 'solutions' seem overly complicated to me.

I'd also suggest properly reading the guidelines as well, 'skimming' probably isn't the way to go.

We actually had a letter from the ICO a few weeks back saying that one of our sites had been 'reported', by a competitor I guess, the letter said they were 'pleased to see we had taken steps to comply' but we could have got taken off the air if we hadn't... and that would have been disastrous!!

Crumpy1
12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
My knowledge of programming languages is not good enough to design my own :( , it is only thanks to you guys that i am able to install plugins and understand basic code, through all the help i have received.

I was hoping it would be a quick, obvious fix that was easy to implement, if i cannot get this to function without being annoying i will swap it with a different one.

Thanks for the help though!

edbr
12-19-2012, 12:55 AM
i can only imagine that the pages are not getting/reading the cookies that have been set. also check your path it must be in the set cookie part i would also think

Crumpy1
12-19-2012, 09:05 AM
i can only imagine that the pages are not getting/reading the cookies that have been set. also check your path it must be in the set cookie part i would also think

Path to what? How do i check its the cookie part?

The code for the plugin is generated for me so i do not understand exactly how it works.

Thanks

Crumpy1
12-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I think i have found the fix for this, however i am unsure where to make the changes. I found the instructions here http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/deployment#HidingCookieControl

Hiding Cookie Control after consent

If you want to hide the Cookie Control icon after the user has given consent then modify the onAccept callback as outlined below:

onAccept:function(cc){cc.setCookie('civicShowCooki eIcon', 'no');$('#ccc-icon').hide()}

I assume this goes into my javascript file however i am unsure where. The are 2 instances of the onAccept rule and i am unsure which to edit.

My js file is here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104598901/Website/Scripts/js/cookies_control/cookesControl-5.1.min.js

Could someone please see where to add this.

Thanks

Crumpy1
12-20-2012, 08:34 AM
onAccept:function(cc){cc.setCookie('civicShowCooki eIcon', 'no');$('#ccc-icon').hide()}

I don't think this is the fix for my error. I think it hides the cookie icon completely not just the message.

This is so frustrating!!!

The only thing i can think of is the google analytics address i used, because my website is not live yet and my old website is still running I have used a www.addgoogleanalyticshere.co.uk for my google analytics address until its live and i can update it properly.

Is this whats causing the error?

Cheers

Corrosive
12-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Is this whats causing the error?

Possibly, cookies are domain specific so it depends how you have it set up. I have seen the code used on other sites as well though and it is fairly intrusive.

Crumpy1
12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Possibly, cookies are domain specific so it depends how you have it set up. I have seen the code used on other sites as well though and it is fairly intrusive.

What do you mean by intrusive?

I will re-post if the issue continues when i upload it to my server.

If i need to add my google analytics address to the script how do I input this in url form?

Cheers

Corrosive
12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
What do you mean by intrusive?

As in, it is permanently there.