PDA

View Full Version : Can you create decent webpages working in design view only?

wheelstb
11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Now I have just a general question about Dreamweaver. I'm interested in learning basic web design, nothing too fancy. Due to a disability I cannot type very well so, I choose to work with Dreamweaver in design view. I've been trying to learn things and reading and posting to multiple forums. People keep telling me that using Dreamweaver in design view is basically useless and not capable of producing a decent website. How much truth is there to this sentiment?

I understand that with
out hand coding you are probably not going to be able to create a website with a lot of interaction but, most of the good websites I see contain good content and don't offer an exceptional amount of interaction.

I understand that the idea of a good website can be a little bit ambiguous, I guess I am just looking for feedback on this general idea.

edbr
11-28-2012, 03:01 AM
it should be possible , as you say better with coding, but you can

wheelstb
11-28-2012, 03:40 AM
That is reassuring, some people were telling me that if I was only going to use Dreamweaver in designing view I should basically give up on learning to build a website and triy to do something else altogether.

I know hand coding is better but I have a disability that limits my ability to type so, design view is looking like my best option. I'm not hoping to build an earth shattering revolutionary website.

edbr
11-28-2012, 04:32 AM
its also easy to create a bad site in code view, so its how you are stacked in the design qualities

domedia
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
How are you going to trouble shoot the web site you are making if you don't know how to code?

wheelstb
11-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to learn how to code it is the physical aspect of typing all the code into the computer that will cause me a problem. I do have a very basic understanding of JavaScript HTML and Visual Basic.

domedia
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
ok, sounds like you have a great starting point then 8)

Corrosive
12-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Design View, Code View it doesn't really matter if you know what you are doing ;)

wheelstb
12-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Design View, Code View it doesn't really matter if you know what you are doing ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I can't type very well so I know that design view is my only option. So many people have been telling me that if you can't do it in Notepad or by hand coding, it's not worth doing. But this could just be an elitist approach, at least I'm hoping that's what it is.

I do understand that you probably do have more freedom and ability in code view.
I have small amounts of exposure to JavaScript, HTML, quick basic and Visual Basic so I have some idea of how creating code works and the basic principles.