PDA

View Full Version : Google search

paul-chambers
11-22-2012, 06:30 PM
HI folks,

Has anybody had any problems with google search that they have incoorporated on their web site? I have a google search bar and it will not search the site at all but I have instructed google to only search my site?

Is this a time thing with regards to search engines indexing the site although I have already forced google to do this?

:confused:

Paul

domedia
11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Paul,

If this is for a new web site then it will take a few days for Google to spider your web site. Is it working now?

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I have had a look at my webmaster tools page on google, as the site is image intensive it has only indexed 3 urls on the site and not selected 69 of them as they look 'similar' to other pages, shouldn't google still index the entire site?

Corrosive
11-27-2012, 10:59 AM
shouldn't google still index the entire site?

Nope, Google will pick and choose which pages to index based on them being varied in content etc. If it sees pages as 'duplicates' then they may not get indexed.

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
is there a way to force google to index them or can I manually add a url to google index?

Corrosive
11-27-2012, 02:40 PM
You can't force Google to do anything but you can ask it to crawl a certain amount of pages (up to 10 I think) and request they be added through your Webmaster Tools account. There are no guarantees though.

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
hmmmm I can try that, if not, I may just have try and get a free peice of software that will index the entire site and can add a search script to it if google cant do it. I have been looking here: http://www.php-development.ru/php-scripts/search-engine.php

Any thoughts on this?

domedia
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
If Google is not crawling your site, there's an fundamental flaw somewhere.

HTML is made to make information accessible.

Can you post a link, or short URL to your site?

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.yesterdayandtodayltd.co.uk/search%20our%20site.html

domedia
11-27-2012, 04:12 PM
As far as I could tell, all your pages have the same text. This is probably what Google is having an issue with :-/

So you basically have two options I think, and you already mentioned one of them.

Either have unique text content on all pages, or use another search engine locally on your site. With the second option, you still need to update your pages; a search engine, Google or your own, still needs to have text to search(!).

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
I was wondering about the text, as all the images have individual descriptions, I thought that google would have picked this up and indexed the pages. I have tried another option which is Atomz but will keep on looking for another site that can remote index the pages and give me a decent search engine if Google cannot.

domedia
11-27-2012, 05:01 PM
The text with your images are almost like meta data, content that describes your content (images). My guess is that for any search engine to work on your site, they primarily need text content. That is what search engines are searching.

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
ok, the images have no alternate text when imported, if I added some alternate text to the images do you think this would help the indexing?

domedia
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
If you were able to add a separate description of each page, on top of where the pictures are, that would be a great solution, imho.

This gives more information to the search engines, other systems and your users.

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 07:49 PM
I think I need a work-around here to get google to recognise the pages, the above may work for indexing the page but not the items within it?

domedia
11-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Googles search result is going to provide you with a text result, not an image result, so I'm not sure I understand your last post. :confused:

It's going to work for indexing the pages, so that a search will provide search results, so that the user can find the appropriate page. What am I missing here? 8) (hopefully something simple..)

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Images with descriptions attached is what I mean, I need google to search for a image name or stock number, the images have text descriptions attached as per lightbox descriptions, this is what I need google to pick up

paul-chambers
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Teplorafrus,

As far as I know, text is indexed when google crawls the site, these can also be tailored to your needs depending on what you want searched in your site by going to your search provider/control panel and customising the search. In my case I am finding difficulty in the engine finding image descriptions.

paul-chambers
11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
does anybody know of any image index site mappers available for free, would this help the indexing of my pages?

paul-chambers
12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
An automated database is what I need, software that will index all of the images on the site and pull them up when a search is initiated. google CSE cannot do this which is why I wanted a site images mapper, not sure whether this will do the job?