PDA

View Full Version : CMS software

paul-chambers
11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
HI folks,

Just wanted to ask any in the forum if anybody knows of any good, free, CMS software available besides Adobe Contribute?

Paul

edbr
11-05-2012, 12:17 AM
modx, joomla

paul-chambers
11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Joomla, does the site need to be written using joomla or can it just be used to manage the site built in dw on the actual server?

gentleone
11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Whatever CMS you're planning to use, you will need to alter your static HTML with certain tags to make it dynamic.
Of course you can build first everything in DW, but eventually it needs to be converted.
Just search for tutorials: 'convert HTML template to Joomla!' or 'convert website to WordPress' etc.

paul-chambers
11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks G.O

It is for the site I have already built in DW. I had read up on the fact that I may have to convert the site to Joomla but wasn't sure if that had to be the case.

Thanks

paul-chambers
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Is ModX more preferred to Joomla for ease of use, I have used neither?

gentleone
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Is ModX more preferred to Joomla for ease of use, I have used neither?
Which CMS you choose depends on the website you want to make. I have experience with Joomla and I hate it... I have no experience with ModX, but I can tell that it's a much and much and much faster CMS compared to Joomla (and even WP I guess).... Joomla is a slow beast I can tell. The roundtrips to the server are enormous.

paul-chambers
11-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I will try Modx for the cms, can a site be converted to a modx site as it can with Joomla, the site has already been built in DW.

Thanks for the advice again, appreciated

gentleone
11-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes no problem. Any existing site can be converted to any CMS. It's just adding some proprietary CMS tags to your existing HTML.

paul-chambers
11-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Ok thanks, will look at what tags need adding into my HTML

gentleone
11-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Moved to the CMS forum board!

Corrosive
11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Ok thanks, will look at what tags need adding into my HTML

I use ModX all the time Paul and absolutely love it. This is the tutorial I used to get started; http://codingpad.maryspad.com/beginner-tutorials/ Make sure you use the Revolution tutorials as opposed to Evolution as Evo is the older version of ModX.

jmichae3
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
there is a less bulky and probably easier-to-config TinyCMS (http://tinycms.designskate.com/)
as a joomla noob it took me 3 months to get a page up on joomla, even with the assistance of a hosting install script. so I was considering Drupal or TinyCMS as a replacement.

TinyCMS modifies the page in-place. and it's site-to-site PORTABLE because there is no database (yay!). I like that. this also means you can FTP it to your machine and have a backup of your site and stuff it on a cd. so you can do backups, and hand/send a copy of the site to your customer!

this also means if the site goes down, that backup can spare your customer from loss and give your customer warm feelings (towards you and about their site's status).

I mention site-to-site because I think someone I was updating a site for, that hosting company is no longer in existence. they do come and go.

derickwilliams
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Just try Drupal if you haven't before.

Drupal: The very popular free and open source Drupal CMS is very often chosen as the first choice whenever someone wants to build a new website. Drupal can be easily scaled for your blogs or enterprise sites, similar to WordPress there are many modules that you can use to increase the functionality of your site.

derickwilliams
01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks gentleone for the updates. I will also try Modx for CMS.

derickwilliams
01-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Which CMS you choose depends on the website you want to make. I have experience with Joomla and I hate it... I have no experience with ModX, but I can tell that it's a much and much and much faster CMS compared to Joomla (and even WP I guess).... Joomla is a slow beast I can tell. The roundtrips to the server are enormous.

Yes, gentleone, same case here me too. I have never tried ModX, but it is really faster than Joomla.

derickwilliams
02-14-2014, 08:17 AM
I agree with you 'gentleone'. That allows non-technical users to easily update and edit web site pages.