PDA

View Full Version : DW Synchronisation

pcspike
10-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi,

Iím using DW MX 2004 on my desktop PC, but as I recently purchased a new laptop I thought it a good idea to have the software running on them both. I do most of my work on the PC and use the laptop when Iím away from home as both machines are synchronised using SugarSync. I would like to figure out the best way of keeping the html files up to date on the laptop, but cannot see how this could using the synchronisation method. I would appreciate your suggestions as to the best way of going about this without incurring further costs.

gentleone
10-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Of course I don't know which OS you have on your new laptop, but I believe DW MX2004 doesn't run on anything above Windows XP.

For syncing I use something similar with Dropbox. I have all my sites in a Dropbox folder. If you define your sites with DW's Site Manager on both machines pointing to your sites in your sites folder on SugarSync, then you're done.

pcspike
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
My PC is running XP and the laptop windows7 Ultimate with Virtual PC and XP installed. As regards pointing DW to the likes of DropBox, this sounds like just what I need, could you be more specificas to how I put this in place?

Thanks

gentleone
10-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Aren't you familiar with defining your site first in DW? This is important before you start working on any site in DW.
http://www.entheosweb.com/dreamweaver/create_site.asp

So let's say you have a folder structure like this in SugarSync:
Sites (your main sites folder)
> Site 1
> Site 2
> Site 3

Then with DW's site manager you will have to define each site individually on both machines.
Create a new site with 'Sites' > "Manage Sites'. In the site manager for Site 1 your local root folder goes to folder Site 1. Save that and then do the same process for Site 2 and Site 3.

pcspike
10-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes, I am familiar with defining a site, but as I have only used DW to create a couple of my own sites back in 2004 it's not something that I would revisit after the inital setup even though I use DW everyday, so I just needed reminding about it.
Thank for the info.