PDA

View Full Version : Lost Panels

history366
10-16-2012, 12:13 AM
I am using Dreamweaver CS5.5 on an iMac running Lion. I did an update to Dreamweaver today. When I opened up the program, all I had was the Dreamweaver Title Bar and a properties bar (with nothing in it) at the bottom. What happened? My experience level is lower than a novice ...

jmichae3
10-26-2012, 11:54 PM
let me get this straight - you have dw cs5.5 and you updated (not upgraded) to dw what version?
have you attempted to chat with adobe install support?

history366
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
First off, allow me to apologize for the delay in responding and my original cryptic message. The update was to version 11.5 build 5366.

The update restored the windows to some basic form. Trying to reach Adobe install tech support was a lost cause. Reading The MIssing Manual on Dreamweaver was not useful either. Turns out the solution was easy if you knew what buttons to push. In this case, "Reset Designer" brought me back to where I wanted to be.

This is not an easy program to use (especially with limited training) and does not appear to be user friendly. I apologize for taking up the time of the forum.

jmichae3
11-28-2012, 11:53 PM
dw has a lot of features. if you want to see them, go get a book called dreamweaver bible. that's not all of its features, but a pretty good representation of the core stuff.

such as the ability to automatically create database-driven login pages, and customize database-driven sites using microsoft-word-like fields.

it has templates. I use this oftentimes to create new pages in my web site - I just make my own templates for a given web site the way I like it and the rest is just filling in content, and I have a consistent look and feel.

dw also has a live code debugger introduced in CS5 and it can inspect css.
of course, I like ff's firebug for that and is almost as effective.

don't let the short feature list on the dw product page fool you.
it also has regex search and replace, I hope they fixed ^ and $ though.

see http://tv.adobe.com for highly informative, free training videos.
http://lynda.com also has very good training videos for $25/mo subscription. would be nice if adobe would put that training out front and center!