PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting and FTP

Razpewton
10-14-2012, 01:56 AM
I've used GoDaddy, Ipower and BlueHost. I prefer BlueHost.

I had issues with GoDaddy and, as much as I love the heat of Danica Patrick, found their service to be 2nd rate. They make it difficult to cancel, and at one point, I had even deleted the credit card information for one domain/website in case they didn't honor my request to cancel. They not only ignored my cancellation request, but they also used credit card info for another website (not my credit card), to renew the one I had cancelled. It got to where I had to transfer ALL domains away from them to Bluehost.

A Bluehost account has:

Unlimited Domain Hosting
Unlimited GB Hosting Space
Unlimited GB File Transfer
Unlimited E-mail Accounts
Free Domain (there are some limits)
Free Site Builder w/ templates
Secure Shell, SSL, FTP, Stats
CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
$100 Google Advertising Offer
and really good 24/7 Phone, Chat & Email Support

I've used some of the FTP services including Cute FTP, Filezilla and FTP Surfer. They all seem about the same to me. I prefer FTP Surfer, but don't really know why, other than it's easy to use.

mike_wilson
05-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I would never use godaddy again. At first they were great but I ran into problems with them. I had bought my domain of them and decided to go with them for hosting. Most forum's I have search through suggest this to be a bad idea and recommend Bluehost like you prefer.

blake
08-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Old post but I would like to make a comment.
Godaddy we stopped using several years ago because of their off the wall control panel, lack of knowledgeable support and slow to no load at all servers.

We had to leave Hostgator and Bluehost because they started throttling their servers and slowing the load times on the sites. They both now belong to EIG wich is the worst of the worst next to 1and1 per our experiences.

We've been using two smaller host for over 3 years now that beat the big host out the back door.

Hostmantis has the fastest servers and best prices in the net plus a fully loaded cpanel and fast support. 60% off coupons on their forum.

KVCH has fast servers and the fastest support we've ever experienced and they have a fully loaded cpanel. Prices higher than Hostmantis.

We're not affiliates with either of them but have peace of mind with them hosting our client's sites.

domedia
08-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Good advice, thanks blake!
I completely agree with the first two paragraphs.

blake
08-06-2013, 05:38 PM
The EIG brand owns piles of hosting companies now and are moving them to their own datacenter in Arizona. I have a friend calls it their punk thug datacenter.

Hostgator was bought out by EIG and everyone I've talked to are moving their sites and vps servers away from them and Bluehost. EIG also had some serious problems, and may still have them. very recently in doing what they called an upgrade in their datacenter and it caused many problems with all their hosting companies clients.

I would advise anyone that is looking for hosting to make sure they do not use an EIG host and remember....there is no such thing as unlimited. Be sure to read the TOS and find out what your resources really are with an unlimited hosting account.

Just my 2 cents worth today.

edbr
08-07-2013, 01:58 AM
EIG was hit with a DDOS attack lat week i saw. my servers had this a few weeks ago and i suspect it might be a trend. Prior to this i lost all sites when a attack on a server in germanty was hit and 1000's of sites were deleted.
so be careful every one, and make sure you back up your databases and sites at least weekly. Im still kicking my self for missing a few.

edbr
08-07-2013, 02:01 AM
BTW, EIG now own
AccountSupport
ApolloHosting
BizLand
BlueDomino
BlueHost
DomainHost
Dot5Hosting
Easy CGI
eHost
EntryHost
FastDomain
FatCow
FreeYellow
Globat
HostCentric
HostMonster
HostYourSite
HyperMart
IMOutdoorsHosting
iPage
Ipower
IPowerWeb
Justhost
Netfirms
Networkshosting
PowWeb
PureHost
ReadyHosting
Spry
StartLogic
USANetHosting
VirtualAvenue
VPSLink
WebHost4Life
Webstrikesolutions
Xeran
YourWebHosting

blake
08-07-2013, 04:55 AM
It was nice to see you post the EIG list.

You made a statement on your post that is probably the most important thing anyone can do that has a website.

Backup your sites and databases at least weekly. The more important a site is the more often backups are needed.

You would be surprised at how often we hear...how can I get my site back? We hear that not only from newbies but the most experienced also.

We never know when a host will have a hardware problem, an outage or a DDOS attack or any other problem that can cause sites to vanish never to return unless the site owner has his or her own backups. Never depend on a host backups...keep your own backups and keep backups on a regular basis.

I'll add one more thing too. Purchase your domains names from a Registrar and not a hosting company. Always keep your domain name and web hosting separated from each other or you could lose it all if you and the host have a disagreement or a "misunderstanding".

blake
08-09-2013, 12:31 AM
EIG

http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials/websites-blogs/hostgator-alternatives-eig-pt1.htm

ragortue
03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
That's one of the problems when using a hosting giant. They never reallycare about customers since they already have tons. Few hundreds moving away from them won't make any difference at all. https://imagicon.info/cat/6-4/1.gif