PDA

View Full Version : free hosting sites?

paul-chambers
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Anybody know of any free hosting sites that I can upload my site to for test purposes?

johnMoss
10-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Paul none of us use them. You can google the request & you'll find a few; but be forewarned they still come at a price, mostly spam email to you & ad placements on your site. They'll still affect your layout so you're still not getting the real read when using them.

paul-chambers
10-07-2012, 05:40 PM
I have found one which I am on as we speak, no ads :grin:

I have ftp'd the files but it's a bit slow as it's a freebie. 250mb free with no ads. Once I have the files in the relevant directories on the remote site I will let you know, then hopefully I can get some pointers from the pros!

With your previous post with regards to reading up on html, am doing so both on html dog and this site which I think is quite good for anybody starting out really:

http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/

johnMoss
10-07-2012, 11:26 PM
OK cool, check back when you're ready...

domedia
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Paul, a minimum hosting package should only cost you a few dollars a month.
For example, site5.com that this site is using, has a little hosting package for $4.99/m

paul-chambers
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
HI

Well I have got the site on a server. I have been cleaning out some of the reduntant code that has been on the pages.

As previously, I said that the menu is going horizontal in IE but should be vertical as it is in FF. I have also added a drop shadow to the divs linked to ext css but not showing on the server but has been uploaded? Would this be a conflict as litebox also has an imagecontainer tag:

#imageContainer
{padding: 10px;}

I have added this to my CSS :

#imagecontainer {
left: 467px;
top: 165px;
width: 525px;
background-color: #FFFF99;
padding-left: 10px;
z-index: auto;
-moz-box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px 3px #333;
-webkit-box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px 3px #333;
position: absolute;
}

Yes I know it says absolute there :oops:
The site goes from left to right, not top to bottom, so not to sure whether that makes any difference?

Whitespace errors on the left menubar, I did change the code as per a previous post and the menu stayed put in IE (vertical) but changed it back as per your advice John and is going horizontal again in IE, is there another way round this?

I have noticed the error in the footer & header which I am fixing now

Here is the link:
http://pchambers2.byethost3.com/

Hope that works ok.

paul-chambers
10-09-2012, 05:56 PM
HI Domedia, managed to find a free one with no ads on it, it says 250mb of free space but it looks like it's 1gb, I have used 246 mb and have 752mb remaining so seems ok to me.

johnMoss
10-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Paul I took a quick look at your code yesterday & started playing with some of the settings, to no avail. What I found odd though is after I had started working your page inside DW I couldn't duplicate the gripe. The menu worked fine in IE browser. That said there are minor issues here & there that need to be addressed with your margins & such, and off subject go ahead & convert your "&" into their proper form "&" You have about 9 of them in there. Amongst the group in here let us see if someone has a quick fix for you, if not I'll come at it again when I have more time to play with it...

paul-chambers
10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
HI John,

I appreciate you looking at this for me, in IE 9 the menu went across the page so not sure why this is not happening in your IE browser. Hope the code is readable enough, I have cleaned up all the pages as there was a lot of redundant rubbish in there.

Still scratching my head then with the IE issue, is this caused by the whitespace bug as I have been reading a lot on the issue and when I verify the code in DW it is only the vertical menu that is highlighted.

Out of interest, what version IE are you on as it may be my version?

It displays fine in IE9 when the page is first rendered, when 'allow blocked content' is set to yes, thsi is where the error then occurs with the menu.

domedia
10-11-2012, 02:15 AM
HI Domedia, managed to find a free one with no ads on it, it says 250mb of free space but it looks like it's 1gb, I have used 246 mb and have 752mb remaining so seems ok to me.

I can only recommend, the rest is up to you :)
Once you start getting into trouble, you'll regret not spending 5 dollars to become a paying customer somewhere. They're not giving you free hosting out of the goodness of their heart..

paul-chambers
10-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I can only recommend, the rest is up to you :)
Once you start getting into trouble, you'll regret not spending 5 dollars to become a paying customer somewhere. They're not giving you free hosting out of the goodness of their heart..
HI Domedia,

The server was for testing purposes only, The reason I think they do free hosting is that you do not, and will never have a .com domain name unless you pay but it seems to be ok for testing purposes. The site will not be hosted on my test site, there is a domain for it ready to go, just wanted to test it first before I uploaded the files.

paul-chambers
10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Paul I took a quick look at your code yesterday & started playing with some of the settings, to no avail. What I found odd though is after I had started working your page inside DW I couldn't duplicate the gripe. The menu worked fine in IE browser.

John, was wondering about this error with the menu going horizontal in IE and vertical in FF, as it was designed.

This code is in the sprymenubarvertical.css:

/* HACK FOR IE: to stabilize appearance of menu items; the slash in float is to keep IE 5.0 from parsing */
@media screen, projection
{
ul.MenuBarVertical li.MenuBarItemIE
{
display: inline;
f\loat: left;
background: #FFF;
}

does this just affect submenus?

I am still getting this error when viewed in my IE9 but you are not in your IE browser which I find very strange and which you cannot duplicate even from within DW
The only time I mananged to solve this was when I changed the code and put <li></li> at the end of each menu entry in the html, the menu then stayed vertical in my IE9.

Is it worth re-doing the above or is there something else that could be causing this?

johnMoss
10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Apologies I did not get to this any sooner, I'm swamped here for a bit... My immediate answer is that if adding list tags solved the problem, and do no harm elsewhere, you're done... is this the case?

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 04:02 PM
John, thats ok, I appreciate you getting back to me.

The answer is yes, It all seemed ok when I tested it both in FF and IE, have not looked at how it would affect it in chrome or Safari but will do so just to make sure.

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Forgot to add, it does remove the underlined code in the HTML upon validation and no whitespace warning when <li></li>is applied to the end of the menu items.

gentleone
10-19-2012, 06:10 PM
This solution is a 'duct tape' solution and the questions is wether it holds forever. I find it also hard to believe that you don't get validation errors by placing the list item content outside the list items. Did you run it through http://validator.w3.org/?

My advice is to use a pure CSS vertical menu instead of that Spry vertical menubar, cause there is no need for JavaScript to have it like you have it now and even if you want fly out submenus, this can be done solely with CSS too.

That spry menubar script has not been updated since 2006 and will never be anymore (http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/08/update-on-adobe-spry-framework-availability.html), so it was optimized for the browser versions of that time and will break more and more in the browsers of today and in those from the future.

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi G.O,

I did think about the fact that there will be no longer any support for the spry menubar. How would you recommend I rework this. Can I do this via an external css file or does this need to be done page by page?

The only validation that I did was via DW itself which gave me a very likely that the whitespace error would occur. I have checked via the link above and have 11 errors that have shown up, this is before I have amended any list tags, they are as they were.

gentleone
10-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I believe I told you this already, but if you hace CSS styles that are the same for a lot of pages like your gallery pages, then it's wise to pu those style in an external stylesheet.
Let say that the client comes to you after a while and ask if you can change the blue thumbnail border to a red one. Like you have it now, you will have to make that CSS change on every gallery page. That's cumbersome work. With an external stylesheet you only have to do it once and the change occurs site-wide.

I can make a pure CSS vertical nav example for you which is easy, but with flyout submenu is a bit more work.

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Yes you have told me this before and I have taken your advice and applied a few external css styles to save me future work, this I have applied to the main image container and content divs. I just wasn't sure whether I could do this for the menu or how I could have an external format for the menu and add to it or change it in the future. Flyout menus are not needed, this is just a basic vertical menu, I have added to this a couple of times but when the site is over 60 pages it can be very cumbersome as you say. I have been there and done that many times lol but you learn as you go, need to make some mistakes to learn the correct way of doing things.

I don't want to cause you any work on my behalf, if you could give an example of how you would work this for 1 menu item I can then duplicate this and save the external css and apply throughout the site, this would be very much appreciated.

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
G.O,

Just out of curiosity, what browser did you use when you checked the site?

gentleone
10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
I'll make an example. Give me a sec or two.

gentleone
10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
G.O,

Just out of curiosity, what browser did you use when you checked the site?
Chrome on the Mac.

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks!

How did it look on the mac out of curiosity?

gentleone
10-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks!

How did it look on the mac out of curiosity?
It looked how it supposed to be I guess.

Here is the CSS nav:
http://cssdesk.com/DVx2B

Two blocks of CSS. i didn't check IE, but this is the most basic vertical nav there is, so it probably works even in IE6 :)

Also you can skip target="_self" cause this is the default target value.

paul-chambers
10-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I will add this css to a test page and have a play around with it.
Sometimes I feel I am over-working things to more than they should be, making things harder for myself!

Thanks for your help on this.

Very much appreciated.