PDA

View Full Version : Making a link to a downloads documents folder question

spudorange
09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Hello all.

I am new to this and have just upped a site:
www.northfield-pool.com (http://www.northfield-pool.com)

Which will end up nothing like that eventually but it was a case of needs must job because the old host went down.

On it I have a spry link to a few things but am struggling to point to a downloads folder where the documents are.

In my folder on both my computer and on the site I have the following:

Folders: spryassets, downloads
files: index, fixtures, results etc etc

I need a way of creating a link from the downloads tab to the folder so people can obtain the documents held there.

Appreciate help or a link to a simple tutorial

with thanks

johnMoss
09-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Spud, you're group sound like my kinda people, you get 10 points for your disclaimer :)
What kind of documents are these? PDF's?
Are you saying you want to create a download link right off of your menu?
Or go to a page that has the links, & then make them downloadable?

spudorange
09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi John thanks for reply.

What I am hoping to do is from the downloads link on main page, have it browse to a part where the the Microsoft word documents are held, such as match sheets etc.

Whichever you think would be better really, will get a lot better at this but only been on it a couple of days so a noob.

Just managed to get a league table up (in a fashion) so making progress, though I do know, it will end up completely different as mentioned, once I get my teeth into dreamweaver cs5

Right now it's sort of working, just need a downloads page

cheers

Spud, you're group sound like my kinda people, you get 10 points for your disclaimer :)
What kind of documents are these? PDF's?
Are you saying you want to create a download link right off of your menu?
Or go to a page that has the links, & then make them downloadable?

Corrosive
09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I would link each document individually at this stage. It might just be easier! Also remember that not all users have MS Word so PDFs might be a more 'universal' solution.

johnMoss
09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Also remember that not all users have MS Word so PDFs might be a more 'universal' solution.

And I second... PDF's also can be read straight from the browser as just about everybody has Adobe reader installed on their browser, & even if not, it readily downloads with an auto-popup that would occur in it's absence.
Sounds like you want to keep a history going too, so I recommend seperate pages for each category, which you of course link through to with your menu.
On these pages, just create some boxes to hold the links:

<div>
<h1>Group 1 Results</h1>
<ul>
<li> <a href="group1SeptemberResults.pdf">September </a></li>
<li> <a href="group1OctoberResults.pdf">October </a></li>
</div>

The above links are examples and assume the files are stored in the 'root', or primary directory. In truth you would probably want to give them their own folder to keep things organized, so if we add a folder to your root directory and call it "group1", and then put the group one pdf results in it, a link to it would look like this:

<li> <a href="group1/group1SeptemberResults.pdf">September </a></li>

gentleone
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Or you could make use of the PDF plugin in the browser by embedding the PDF with <object>
The PDF document is in a html page which will just open in the browser. It's not supported (yet???) by Firefox (the only browser, but it is even supported all the way down to IE6), so you will need a fallback link pointing to the PDF document which will then just get openend by Adobe Acrobat.

Example:

<a href="pdfpage.html">pdf page</a>

In pdfpage.html you insert the object in the body tag.

<head>

<style type="text/css">

html, body { width: 100%; height: 100%; margin: 0; padding: 0 }

</style>

</head>

<body>

<object data="downloads/yourfile.pdf" type="application/pdf" width="100%" height="100%">

<p>It appears you don't have a PDF plugin for this browser. No worries... you can <a href="downloads/yourfile.pdf">click here to download the PDF file</a></p>

</object>

</body>

Users can just save and/or print the document from within pdfpage.html

Here's an example with an embedded PDF:
http://pdfobject.com/markup/examples/full-browser-window.html

spudorange
09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
phew

thanks to all

need to think about this as to the best way for me as a newbie

would prefer to maybe zip them as doc's zipped up but obviously you guys know best.

gentleone
09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
If you have Adobe Acrobrat Pro then you can save from within Word your document to a PDF version, but if you don't there are loads of free Word to PDF converters out there on the net.

Corrosive
09-21-2012, 04:51 PM
If you have Adobe Acrobrat Pro then you can save from within Word your document to a PDF version, but if you don't there are loads of free Word to PDF converters out there on the net.

Cute PDF is a good one :)

johnMoss
09-21-2012, 05:03 PM

? needed?
All my MS programs have pdf capability already built in.

spudorange
09-21-2012, 05:10 PM
making pdf's is not the problem (I have just done that)

It's linking them now I have put them into my downlaods folder that I am stuck on, any help would be appreciated

thanks

johnMoss
09-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Corrosive & I gave you two possible methods. Choose one of the models we gave you, i.e. either his or mine, & it'll work like a champ.

spudorange
09-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Here's the problem I am having

selecting the downloads folder in menu_bar_horizontal I select downloads, select link to downloads folder and click but it just opens the folder to where the files are and does not make a link

Think I need to read a bit more of above as clueless at moment.

back tomorrow and will retry

thanks for all your help

johnMoss
09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Of course. It's already in your computer. Things will change when you upload everything to the server. Do so & watch what happens...

spudorange
09-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes I realise that but I am missing something here (I am a noob though so please allow my ignorance)

The files are on BOTH places, on server & hard drive

I need you to advise how i "link them", kinda like a hyperlink

That's where I am stuck

The code given in previous posts is over my head at the moment and unsure where to place it so I need a bit of hand holding please

thanks for your patience

johnMoss
09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Are you saying you want to link the files between hard drive & server, i.e. update automatically?