PDA

View Full Version : Inherit Browser size.

Harrumph
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a request from a client to create a site from PSDs. Problem is I usually prefer to leave a little padding either side on my sides so things don't get stretched.
I have set my visibility to Inherit which I thought would automatically fix the sizings to the browsers size.
Any one know of any other ways I can do this?
Thanks

gentleone
09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
What do you mean with 'create a site from PSD's'? I mean... you do slice (manually) the PSD's first aren't you?

johnMoss
09-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I've been experimenting with using dimension percentage settings all week. For the most part its worked out fairly well, but I have not tested it against images yet. You gotta remember though what you're giving up SEO- wise by slapping a bunch of pictures & limited content copy.

Harrumph
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Mostly I design in Photoshop and save at 1024 x 768 for web and devices. This was the way I was taught. Mostly I leave a bit of padding either side but this site has a header and a footer so it must fit all browsers. Currently not fitted to Google Chrome but is programmed for all other devices including Mobile and Ipad.

d a v e
09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
that's how to save an image for the web, NOT how to make a web page :)

Harrumph
09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I know that! I then upload into dreamweaver and do the usual I am sure you are all familiar with. I did not intend to provide a step by step guide into my current workings just to gain the answer to my question!
If you do not know it please refrain from commenting "i am cleverer than you" trolls!

d a v e
09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
then post a link to the coded page you have so far.
step by step guide not required, but a little more than you included would help us to help you. this sentence for example makes me think you're saving the whole page as a single image. "Mostly I design in Photoshop and save at 1024 x 768 for web and devices. "
If i was merely trolling i guess i wouldn't still be a member of this forum for after 6 years ;)

domedia
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
I've read this thread a few times to figure out what is asked for.. nothing so far..

Corrosive
09-19-2012, 06:57 AM
To make a design that 'stretches' to fit a browser area then you need to look at fluid layouts made with percentages (as John mentioned). The latest 'thing' is responsive design which is designed to change your layout to fit from desktop browser to tablet to phone all on the same page. Suggest you Google both 'fluid web design' and 'responsive web design' and see what you get in the way of guides/tutorials.