PDA

View Full Version : older versions

doofous
09-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I am a retired manager who is a volunteer at local senior centers, helping teach old folks like myself at local nonprofits put together basic informational websites. All of the design and programming software I had used before I moved into management and then retired went back with my work computer but in any case is incompatible and non-upgradeable with my iMac .

I would like to use Dreamweaver for these sites, looking forward to the day when they might want to upgrade their sites or migrate them to a different host. The problem is the cost for Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro for my Imac. It puts quite a dent in home budgeting. Iím running OSX 10.7. Question: If I look for new older versions of Dreamweaver on eBay or elsewhere, what is the oldest version I have to buy to be compatible with that operating system and 10.8?

johnMoss
09-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Better solution: If your needs are limited, i.e. not ongoing, and you're just doing this one site, Adobe has a membership program whereby you can "rent" the software you need on a monthly basis. I haven't looked recently, but at last check for example the entire suite of the web software was around 50 bucks a month. Rent it for however long & then turn it off, I don't think there is a minimum time commitment.

johnMoss
09-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Also, older versions of DW are not set up for newer standards such as html5. Not a major issue but bound to save you some headaches...

johnMoss
09-15-2012, 07:51 PM
keep thinking of things after I hit the enter button :)
You say you are a volunteer at the senior centers. That in itself is a noble endeavor and as such, I think it quite easy to walk into any small business print shop and, upon advice of what you need to do, they would probably let you borrow some of their old software. Very common for such entities to hang onto previous versions.

doofous
09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
...for the suggestions.

The idea of renting software hadn't occurred to me and I'll check it out. I'm a little uncertain about what that does when I finish a site, document it and turn it over to the group to maintain and update (variable pages like meeting minutes, photo pages, team scores, whatever) they'd incur a financial and technical commitment. Remember, I wanted to buy the older, cheaper software to leave it with the organization and don't want to violate software rights,

A friend just came up with another solution. He was asked by his wife to put together a website for her 50th high school reunion, but do it on the cheap. He did it with a desktop publishing package that came with Office (Publisher?) and it works okay for those kinds of applications...and most organizations have somebody with an unused copy of that suite. The sites aren't marked by elegant graphics or extended commercial features, but flower clubs and veterans' group members often have older PC's of limited power with slow communications so simple is better anyways.

Again, thanks...I'm going to keep on looking for a decent $59 client for web design, creation and management for Mac and for PC. The equivalent of the old PFS: type of product

edbr
09-17-2012, 01:32 AM
you could look at html kit, its not dreamweaver but is free and will do the job.

domedia
09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
you could look at html kit, its not dreamweaver but is free and will do the job.

I use it. It's not an alternative to Dreamweaver unless you code by hand.

Ricky55
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Why don't you use a CMS?

Just use WordPress, download it for FREE, install it on your server, download some really nice themes for FREE and then you have a website that looks professional is easy to update and hasn't cost you a penny.

You can then spend your time focussing on the website content rather than how to build it.

Just an idea.

edbr
09-18-2012, 01:39 AM
thats a better idea

edbr
09-18-2012, 01:57 AM
some other wysisyg editors
http://www.allprofitallfree.com/free-html-editor.html
http://webdesign.about.com/od/freewebeditors/fr/serif-webplus-starter-edition-profile.htm

edbr
09-18-2012, 02:16 AM
i just had a look at this one and its really not bad
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

doofous
09-18-2012, 03:03 AM
The key word is 'server' My impression was that once you develop a website with a CMS, you stay with that CMS or convert with some cost and difficulty. That's why I wanted a generic client-side product that was portable. if I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time by any means) please educate me.

Ricky55
09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Why would you want to change?

Just try WordPress if you don't like it, (which I can't see why you wouldn't) but if you don't just don't use it again, choose another one until you find a CMS that you like.

A static website is just that static, its the hardest website to change of all as you are locked into everything, design and code.

Even if you created a site with WordPress which would take about ten minutes you could still export all of the content into another CMS if you didn't like it.

If you want to learn web design then thats cool but if you just want a site / a series of sites quickly then a CMS is the best option by far.

You could even create a test site on WordPress.com for free without even buying any hosting, just create some dummy content to see how you get on with it.

Its a great publishing platform IMO, thats why 3/4 of the worlds websites use it.