PDA

View Full Version : How to find file where text element is stored?

johnMoss
09-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Objective:

Change a piece of text that belongs to a template.

Discussion:

I've gotten pretty savvy at tracking down pieces of code inside these joomla templates & changing as necessary. This one has me stumped... Is there a way to derive the precise file source for a string of text on a page? The page in question is a template obviously but it doesn't seem to be contained in the usual haunts in the file system.

Specifics:

1. In chrome, go to http://www.networkingeventfinders.com/new-york-networking-guide/newmembership (http://www.networkingeventfinders.com/new-york-networking-guide/newmembership)

2. Scroll down to bottom of page where you see the Upgrade button...

3. Immediately above that you see monetary amounts & timeframes.

4. I need to change the timeframe descriptives, i.e change '1 mo' to 'mo', '1 yr' to 'yr'...

5. The monetary amounts are handled in the CMS admin. The timeframes are a piece of hard html code inside a default php template.

6. I am looking for that php template file to make these adjustments. Where it should be, and where I have gone before to edit items on that page, the text in question is not to be found.

7. With the chrome developer tools & utilizing the search option thereof, one of course gets taken straight to the code lines in question. Is there perhaps one additional tool I'm unaware of that can give me the file path reference from which this text is being pulled?

8. The site is hosted by host gator and they have a pretty handy file search tool, but it didn't find it either...

gentleone
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM
It's been a while since I've worked on a Jooma! site, but there should be in admin on the page 'configuration' or something like that an option 'debug'. It's off by default, so you have to tick the checkbox. Once you done that and you go to the site and page in question If you hover over the text you will see a frame or indicator which tells you from which file that include comes.

Like I said it's been far too long to remember exactly, but I believe it was something like this.

gentleone
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
by the way... the includes are all dynamic content so you won't find out things with web developer or firebug.

domedia
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Can you SSH to the hosting server?
If so, just search (grep) for the text you want to change.

johnMoss
09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
If you hover over the text you will see a frame or indicator which tells you from which file that include comes.

I couldn't get that functionality to work. The debug (J 1.5) does pull up reference info, but simply displays known backend modules, components & such. Specifically, when turned on, additional info is placed at the bottom of the screen, as below...

Can you SSH to the hosting server?
If so, just search (grep) for the text you want to change.

Was ist Das? Neu für mich :)

•PROFILE INFORMATION•

Application afterLoad: 0.000 seconds, 0.40 MB
Application afterInitialise: 0.161 seconds, 7.14 MB
Application afterRoute: 0.173 seconds, 8.10 MB
Application afterDispatch: 0.201 seconds, 9.56 MB
Application afterRender: 0.380 seconds, 16.01 MB
•MEMORY USAGE•

•15 QUERIES LOGGED•

SELECT *
FROM nyg_session
WHERE session_id = '70c214a7428072d476a943d5bfb8bbe5'
DELETE
FROM nyg_session
WHERE ( TIME < '1346954139' )
SELECT *
FROM nyg_session
WHERE session_id = '70c214a7428072d476a943d5bfb8bbe5'
UPDATE `nyg_session`
SET `time`='1346955039',`userid`='0',`usertype`='',`us ername`='',`gid`='0',`guest`='1',`client_id`='0',` data`='__default|a:8:{s:15:\"session.counter\";i:59;s:19:\"session.timer.start\";i:1346952498;s:18:\"session.timer.last\";i:1346955026;s:17:\"session.timer.now\";i:1346955031;s:22:\"session.client.browser\";s:106:\"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.89 Safari/537.1\";s:8:\"registry\";O:9:\"JRegistry\":3:{s:17:\"_defaultNameSpace\";s:7:\"session\";s:9:\"_registry\";a:1:{s:7:\"session\";a:1:{s:4:\"data\";O:8:\"stdClass\":0:{}}}s:7:\"_errors\";a:0:{}}s:4:\"user\";O:5:\"JUser\":19:{s:2:\"id\";i:0;s:4:\"name\";N;s:8:\"username\";N;s:5:\"email\";N;s:8:\"password\";N;s:14:\"password_clear\";s:0:\"\";s:8:\"usertype\";s:15:\"Public Frontend\";s:5:\"block\";N;s:9:\"sendEmail\";i:0;s:3:\"gid\";i:0;s:12:\"registerDate\";N;s:13:\"lastvisitDate\";N;s:10:\"activation\";N;s:6:\"params\";N;s:3:\"aid\";i:0;s:5:\"guest\";i:1;s:7:\"_params\";O:10:\"JParameter\":7:{s:4:\"_raw\";s:0:\"\";s:4:\"_xml\";N;s:9:\"_elements\";a:0:{}s:12:\"_elementPath\";a:1:{i:0;s:87:\"/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/libraries/joomla/html/parameter/element\";}s:17:\"_defaultNameSpace\";s:8:\"_default\";s:9:\"_registry\";a:1:{s:8:\"_default\";a:1:{s:4:\"data\";O:8:\"stdClass\":0:{}}}s:7:\"_errors\";a:0:{}}s:9:\"_errorMsg\";N;s:7:\"_errors\";a:0:{}}s:13:\"session.token\";s:32:\"66c6ed66d886af4f370c12dbcefbf0c5\";}'
WHERE session_id='70c214a7428072d476a943d5bfb8bbe5'
SELECT *
FROM nyg_components
WHERE parent = 0
SELECT folder AS TYPE, element AS name, params
FROM nyg_plugins
WHERE published >= 1
AND access <= 0
ORDER BY ordering
SELECT m.*, c.`option` AS component
FROM nyg_menu AS m
LEFT JOIN nyg_components AS c
ON m.componentid = c.id
WHERE m.published = 1
ORDER BY m.sublevel, m.parent, m.ordering
SELECT template
FROM nyg_templates_menu
WHERE client_id = 0
AND (menuid = 0 OR menuid = 152)
ORDER BY menuid DESC
LIMIT 0, 1
SELECT *
FROM nyg_membership_features
WHERE published ="1"
SELECT *
FROM nyg_membership_type
WHERE published ="1"
ORDER BY id
SELECT a.id,a.name
FROM nyg_sobipro_object AS a JOIN nyg_sobipro_category AS b
ON b.id = a.id
WHERE a.approved ="1"
ORDER BY a.createdTime ASC
SELECT *
FROM nyg_community_config
WHERE name = 'config'
SELECT id, title, module, POSITION, content, showtitle, control, params
FROM nyg_modules AS m
LEFT JOIN nyg_modules_menu AS mm
ON mm.moduleid = m.id
WHERE m.published = 1
AND m.access <= 0
AND m.client_id = 0
AND ( mm.menuid = 152 OR mm.menuid = 0 )
ORDER BY POSITION, ordering
SELECT *
FROM nyg_ng_info
SELECT *
FROM nyg_kunena_config
•LANGUAGE FILES LOADED•

/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.ini 1
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_community.menu.ini 1
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_debug.ini 1
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_memberships.ini
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.tpl_cloudbase.ini
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_community.ini 1
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.mod_mainmenu.ini 1
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.mod_footer.ini 1
/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/language/en-GB/en-GB.mod_qloginpopup.ini 1•UNTRANSLATED STRINGS DIAGNOSTIC•

DECREASE FONT SIZE ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]DECREASE FONT SIZE ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]DEFAULT FONT SIZE ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]DEFAULT FONT SIZE ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]INCREASE FONT SIZE ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]INCREASE FONT SIZE ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]SKIP TO CONTENT ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]SKIP TO CONTENT ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]SKIP TO CONTENT ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]SKIP TO CONTENT ::include() [/home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.php:44]•UNTRANSLATED STRINGS DESIGNER•

# /home/nef/public_html/new-york-networking-guide/templates/cloudbase/libs/ja.template.helper.phpDECREASE FONT SIZE=Decrease font sizeDEFAULT FONT SIZE=Default font sizeINCREASE FONT SIZE=Increase font sizeSKIP TO CONTENT=Skip to content

johnMoss
09-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I do indeed gather the text string in question is buried in a plug-in script file somewhere. All the purportedly obvious file paths lead to dead ends...

gentleone
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
No... debug is your best friend when working on a joomla! site. I could find all the files/includes with that. Without debug you're pretty much nowhere in Joomla!

domedia
09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
And if you can't access the server through a console like Putty, you need to download the site and search locally.

gentleone
09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I will have a look for you how I did it on a Joomla site I did in the past. I'll let you know.

gentleone
09-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I was wrong. What I meant was when I had to debug the Joomla! webshop module; VirtueMart. There you can hover over bits on a page to figure out where the include is coming from. The debug process like that was really like heaven, because VirtueMart was a horrible shopping cart. So, sorry... I mixed things up. .

Anyways. With Joomla! itself you just have to follow the paths from files which gets included or echoed to finally come to the right file. I know this can be tedious because you will have to follow includes within includes within includes. As far as I can see is there in 1.5 not really a helpful system to track down files.

johnMoss
09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
well thanks for checking though; I did start digging around in some other areas and still haven't found it, but I'm doing so as time permits... As that script is inherent to the program itself, my suspicion its buried in some php script file. I'll just have to hunt it down.

johnMoss
09-07-2012, 06:06 PM
And if you can't access the server through a console like Putty, you need to download the site and search locally.
ah... got it... thanx... thats the ticket

Bill Goldberg
05-03-2017, 04:07 AM
Which platform is better for a website Joomla or WordPress?