PDA

View Full Version : Competitor Claiming website design

cocoonfx
08-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Chaps

I have noticed that a competitor is claiming the design work for a website I have built. The only thing he did do was the logo. Is it right for him to have a link to the site?

domedia
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Is it right for him to have a link to the site?

I don't see why not, but you should definitely address that is claiming to have done the design work.

edbr
09-01-2012, 02:25 AM
do you add a designed by link in the footer?

Corrosive
09-01-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd say that a link to the website is a bit cheeky. It would be fine with a copy of the logo alone on his site.

johnMoss
09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi Chaps

I have noticed that a competitor is claiming the design work for a website I have built. The only thing he did do was the logo. Is it right for him to have a link to the site?

You specifically state he is claiming your design work. If you built the site, and he did not recode, redesign, or otherwise add what would be considered significant change to the site, the answer is Hell no, and period... A link is up to the site owner of course, but claiming your work is fraud. "Logo by" would be reasonable...

I consider my own case a good example. A client had me redo their site. They supplied all graphics & art. I provided new copy & very different styling, but left the orginal frame intact, of which the primary design was conjured up by an employee of the client almost in totality.

So to be fair this went in the header:

<meta content="johnMossDesigns (info@johnmossdesigns.com)" name="author"/>
<!--original design by Ana Alvarez, original coding by First Source Web, recoded and redesigned by Ana Alvarez and johnMoss Designs-->
<meta content="Copyrighted to metalix design" name="copyright"/>

& then ana & I are credited in the displayed footer