PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform compatibility

twouptourer
08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Hello
I have been googling everywhere to get a clear answer to this question, so I'm hoping someone here can confirm whether a project created in Dreamweaver CS5 on a Windows PC can save it happily to a USB such that a MAC running CS5 will open it without any bits missing etc?

My daughter is studying graphic design at Uni, currently involving Dreamweaver, and to save here spending night after night in the university 'Mac pool', I said I would buy the academic version for Windows so she can work at home.

She is freaking out that she will do all this project work, only to get to Uni to find the MACs won't read it correctly.

My understanding is that something created on a MAC can be saved and continually re-worked in a Windows format on say a USB stick, and then put said USB stick into the Windows PC and it will allow read/edit etc, and then back to the MAC again. ie completely interchangeble.

Have any of you done this and it is safe and reliable to do so?
If I had the money to run out and buy a MAC for I would, but it just isn't possible at present.
Thanks in anticipation!
John

Corrosive
08-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum John. I can tell you that, fundamentally, the files created in Dreamweaver to form a website (html, php, javascript, css etc) are totally interchangeable between PC and Mac because they are all 'universal' languages on which the www is based. What I don't know (and I suspect you may be asking about in reality) is if Dreamweaver specific files, such as site definitions, templates (dwt) etc, are interchangeable. So the answer is that it depends how many of the native DW stuff your daughter is likely to use or if she is happy creating a site on Windows, saving all the pages into a folder on a USB, and then re-setting it up on a MAC.

twouptourer
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it. My programming expertise is in mapping systems, but I have created a few websites using FrontPage some years ago, soI understand enough principles to look at what she is doing. .

What she is being asked to do is to create a website that is not going to be seen by anyone other than her lecturer and herself, hence having it 'run' from her USB stick, in the sense that she creates it using a MAC at Uni where all the files are saved onto that USB.

Ideally she should be able to bring that USB home, have the Windows PC (with DW installed), open those files on the USB in the same way the Mac did, make what ever changes she desires and save them, and then back to the Mac at Uni. ie All files will be on the stick, but be reliably read by either platform.

I take it this would not constitute being a 'site on Windows', but rather an independant bunch of files readable by either?
regards
john

gentleone
08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
HTML is HTML, CSS is CSS, JavaScript is JavaScript, etc. These languages are platform independent, thus can be opened in any editor on any platform/OS.

The only thing that she has to keep in mind is that she has to format the USB drive both for PC and MAC via Disk Utility before she saves any files on it, so that it can be read/write on both OS's.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5795930_format-usb-drive-mac-pc.html