PDA

View Full Version : menu/div tags/multiple pages/

woknwolr
08-12-2012, 05:26 AM
I have been managing my employers website since the departure of the webmaster about a month ago. Although I am not a webmaster, I'm happy :smile:to say that I have been quite successful, until now. :-(

I have been asked to add an additional link to one of the menus. The menu uses includes, with CSS styling, but the size, location, etc for the menu is within a div tag in each page - hundreds!

Is there any way to update this easily?

tx, wnwr

gentleone
08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
I guess you mean inline styles? That indeed sucks.

In this case a find & replace in entire site is your only option, but before you do that I'd recommend to make a back-up of the whole site.

woknwolr
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Yes, I am sure that's what is happening.

In response to find and replace, I believe I would prefer to begin creating external CSS and editing each page than to have a haunting of having issues.

This is a relative new site, created less than 2 years ago, what do you think would be the reasoning to this type coding?

Thanks for the response, WNWR

edbr
08-13-2012, 03:07 AM
no sensible reason i think

gentleone
08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Edbr is right! The only reason would be to get other people that has to work on that website, like you, go crazy.

I think it is also better to get those inline styles in an external stylesheet. Otherwise you will keep on struggling with find & replace. Hundred pages is a lot, but when it's done you will have it much easier with future maintenance. And you will learn a lot by doing so.

Corrosive
08-14-2012, 08:32 AM
what do you think would be the reasoning to this type coding?

The person who built it is incompetent ;)

woknwolr
08-19-2012, 02:56 PM
The person who built it is incompetent ;)

I believe you are correct!!!