PDA

View Full Version : My site looks bad

mamacass
07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
It is not a work of art. I used Dreamweaver as my editor to create it, but it looks like a relic from the 1990s.

I thought that perhaps a Dreamweaver template could make it look a little bit more respectable. I did the maps (and videos) myself - hopefully they aren't too bad - but the buttons, fonts etc are not good.

Does anybody have any recommendations? All criticism welcome! I'm not blaming the Dreamweaver software for the site's "look", I know that it's my design skills that are lacking.

(here is a shortened url of the site for anyone who would like to have a look and comment goo.gl/JVLIo (http://goo.gl/JVLIo) )

edbr
07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
text is to heavy, little smaller and less bold except for headers maybe.
the buttons are also a bit much better to use text links in a unordered list
the top banner looks a little lost, it could afford to be bigger (not the text though)

mamacass
07-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the advice, edbr.

I will try to modify my site a bit based on your ideas. I don't like the buttons either - what exactly do you mean by "text links"? Do you mean underlined hyperlinks, or something else?

Your advice would be very welcome.

Thanks!

d a v e
07-21-2012, 06:22 PM
quick idea http://pp.kpnet.fi/prescott/stuff/phuket2.jpg
yes, instead of those buttons, simple list of links

mamacass
07-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Your design was extremely useful, Dave - thank you for going to the trouble of showing me how to do it. If you go back and look again you'll see I've made my homepage look more like your suggestion.

The font you are using is very nice - can I use it in Dreamweaver? I'm not a font expert so I don't know what it's called.

I still have quite a bit of work to do, but that has got me off to a great start, Thank you!

d a v e
07-22-2012, 01:38 PM
you're welcome. the font is tahoma - common to macs and pcs. simply use something like
body {
font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}