PDA

View Full Version : href # linking mumbo jumbo

BrowsingBear
06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Sorry guys, I think I posted this in the wrong section... Anyway, thanks to everyone who has helped to build this great site. It looks great and I look forward to being a part of it...
A little about my pedigree.
I am a former Tree Climber (Arborist) who after 21 years, has decided to come down out of the trees to join the human society. I am a royal noob to dreamweaver but have punched out a couple of sites and am really beginning to enjoy it.

I have hit my first snag and a lack of technical jargon is taking its toll, so I am hoping you can help me out. Here goes

Having trouble with linking to a specific part of a page. ie not just the top of the page.
What is wrong with this code
<li><a href="points.html#home">Reports</a></li>
<li><a href="points.html#about">Reports</a></li>
<li><a href="points.html#gallery">Reports</a></li>

I can create a hyperlink to /points.html without any problem but the links with the following code added #home or #about or #gallery after /points.html page do not work.

What is strange is that right clicking the <li><a href="points.html#home">Reports</a></li> link and "open in new tab" does work and open the correct page (in chrome) but not ie8.

Anyone who knows what is going on and can explain to me would be appreciated til the end of time

Corrosive
06-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. I don't think you need the page references in your anchor code. Have you tried;

<li><a href="#home">Reports</a></li>
<li><a href="#about">Reports</a></li>
<li><a href="#gallery">Reports</a></li>

at all?

Mind you, in page anchors are nor my strong point! I'd put this content on separate pages.

BrowsingBear
06-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but no go unfortunately. The links are from another page... The links are on the "index.html" page to the points.html#reports section of the points.html. To tell you the truth I do not even know what to call this to look it up. Is there a specific name for a #page. Feel free to have a look if you like.
http://palmcourtsquash.com/points.html#home
The trouble I am having is linking the individual reports to there respective pages eg.http://palmcourtsquash.com/reports1.html#about

Hands have been thrown up and keyboards are officially in danger... LOL

PS The guys in the outfits is Photoshopped before you judge us Aussies

Corrosive
06-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Well, I've had a look through and the in-page anchors seem to be working fine for me (Google Chrome Browser)... I think. Truth be told I'm a bit lost on your website. The navigation structure is confusing as hell and I wouldn't know where I was supposed to be even if I clicked on a link. You've thought the site up and so you probably understand how it is meant to go but, from a visitors point of view, it is like a maze. And I spend a lot of time on the web! Just thought I should flag that up.