PDA

View Full Version : All of a sudden cannot open 'some' not all files, in D CS4

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I do hope someone can help me please.

Although I can open each of my other site folders for websites I have built, I cannot get into one particular site folderÖ. No files within that site/folder will open and I canít see why.

Iíve tried deleting the folder from the Ďmanaging sitesí area and then uploading it again. That does not work.

Iíve renamed the folder, again it does not work. I cannot open any of the many files within.

Iíve tried copying one file from the problem folder and pasting it into one of the folders where the files are fine, but still that file will not open.

Does any have any ideas please??

Gnarly
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
It sounds like corrupted files to me. What type of files are they?

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Hello Gnarly

They're html files. Would that be normal for all the html files within a folder to become corrupt when other folders are fine?

Thanks
Di

johnMoss
05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Define 'will not open'. What happens?
Error message?
Nothing?

And how are you navigating to the file? From within dreamweaver?
Have you tried just double-clicking on the index file from its source location & see if it will open in a browser?

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Hello John

The circle (mouse thing) keeps going around and around and nothing happens so I have to quit Dreamweaver. Other files in other folders open fine tho.

Yes, navigating within Dreamweaver.

Yes, if I double click the file within the folder it opens up in Internet Explorer 8 fine. I'm needing to make alterations to the documents within the folder, in Dreamweaver.

Thanks for helping.

johnMoss
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
OK, curiosity... Try opening it in notepad.

Open notepad, choose open, select all files, & then your index page. See if it opens & if so, leave open, & report back...

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Okay John, I've done that and have it open in front of me.

johnMoss
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I didn't get notice of your response.
1)Highlight & copy the entire codeset.
2)Open Dreamweaver, create a new html page, & then delete any prefilled code.
3) Now copy the notepad html into the page.
4) Up top in DW, click File/Validate/Markup
5) Fix any simple problems.

All I can think is there may be some seriously corrupted javascript causing this, though I couldn't say why. Bottom line is you have to start somewhere, & this is it.

After this, save the page into a new file path, say your desktop. Close the file & then try to reopen it.

If all checks reasonably out, go ahead & recreate your index & supporting stylesheets, images etc. into a new file path. May not solve the mystery but will at least solve the problem.

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi John

Thanks for continuing to try and help. I'm not sure what you mean by 'prefilled code'. Can you please explain before I try what you suggest?

By the way, just so you know, I'm in the UK and it's 11pm here so if I lose contact with you tonight, I hope I can come back to you tomorrow?? But I would like to try what you're suggesting tonight, if you're still available. Thanks.

Again, thanks for your invaluable help. Much appreciated.

Kind regards. Di

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Okay, I did this (without knowing what the 'prefilled codes' are and it says

"no errors or warnings found". Does that help do you think?

As you can probably tell, I'm a novice Dreamweaver web designer.

Thanks
Di

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Okay, it's half 11 at night here and I'm off to sleep. Any further thoughts or ideas you have, I'd be delighted to hear them please. If it's easier I'm on di @ swaddling . net ~ thanks.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help me, much appreciated.

Kind regards
Di

CatastroficCat
05-07-2012, 10:28 PM
The website I'm having trouble loading is

http://www.thescottcentre.co.uk/

Thanks. Di

johnMoss
05-07-2012, 10:52 PM
No worries... So your code seems to be fine, so no issue there. Move on to the next steps. Try saving the file elsewhere on your computer. Does it reopen? If yes, then resave all of them in that manner. If not, the battle continues...

CatastroficCat
05-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi John

I moved the whole folder to the desktop, went into 'Manage Sites', deleted it then re-loaded it from the new location (Desktop) but still it would not open any files within. It just says, along the top left line... Dreamweaver CS4 (Not Responding).

So I went to an external HD where I have an old copy from last year so I loaded that into my websites file on my computer. That didn't work either.

I then uploaded it with 'Manage Sites' direct into the HD, sort of skipping past my comptuer and still nothing opens! But, still my other 4 or 5 sites respond perfectly and open.

I'm totally confused.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time on this.

Kind regards
Di

johnMoss
05-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm reaching here now, but try this:

Delete all "notes" files you can find in the site file directory. Then try & open again.

CatastroficCat
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi John

I'm just in from work so will delete all the "notes" files, as you suggest.

Thanks.
Di

CatastroficCat
05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow, John, it worked...!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. I am so grateful. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I had horrors that I was going to have to re-build the whole site again.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I've been building websites for about 2 years and this is my first major problem. So, I promise not to become a pest but, may I please add you to my LinkedIn people so that I don't lose touch with you please?

Thank you again.
Eternally grateful.
Best wishes
Di
-------------------
Di Swaddling
di@swaddlingt.net

johnMoss
05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Of course, and you're more than welcome... Heads up though, I'm on the low end of the totem pole in this crowd. Issues you may run into are best posted here as typically two or more chime in when you start getting into more complicated situations. Welcome to the forum :)

johnMoss
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I suppose I should finish this out properly too. :)
When you go to set up your site again, you'll see DW will create a new set of notes files. Don't delete them. DW uses these files, as you've now seen, to configure storage & links internal to the program. Forever more, when you change computers with a file, this will have to be done again. Sorry to put you through the ringer, I should've thought about this first...

CatastroficCat
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks again for all your help. I do understand a lot more now :) and understand what you're saying about the -notes files. It's just great to know there are clever guys like you all out there to lean on. Thanks so much. I've now made my alterations and uploaded them and can sleep peacefully tonight :o) THANKS!