PDA

View Full Version : opening saved website design on new computer

emperorpenguine
05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a website project i have saved on a memory stick. It is not yet hosted on a server. I now want to work on it on new computer in dreamweaver. It will not open for me. Can anyone tell me how to open it up.

edbr
05-02-2012, 01:53 AM
have you defined the path to it in site definitions?

emperorpenguine
05-02-2012, 08:49 AM
have you defined the path to it in site definitions?
Would you let me know how i define a path to my saved web project. I will explain how far i got and maybe that will point you in the right direction as to what i have to do.
As i said i had saved it on a memory. When i loaded it into a new computer and opened up the dreamweaver program, i found it in the "manage sites" but all that is showing in the "local files" window is the name of the website but nothing else when i try to expand this. I have tried creating a new path to a desktop file i created specificaly for this purpose but it will not happen for me. Thanks again for getting back to me.

johnMoss
05-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Is it possible to create the exact same file path sequence in the new computer? When a site is defined, a notes file is inserted into every folder created from the root directory down. Matching the same path, i.e. (example) MyDocs/DreamweaverFiles/Website1/Site/... will ensure a seamless transition back & forth and to the server as well. In the absence of this, you can't transfer back & forth between computers without mishaps. If you do not intend to transfer back, then wipe out any site definitions that may exist, if any, related to the site in question, and get rid of the notes files in every directory. You would now have a clean slate to play with, at which point you simply define the site again & you're good to go.

johnMoss
05-05-2012, 04:08 AM
I didn't answer your first question, oops.. Define site:
1) perform the above as stated. If the "notes" files don't exist, then disregard that step.
2) Up top, click on 'site', then 'new site', give it a name, & then navigate to your site folder wherever you have it stored. Do the same for your images folder as you see it asks for.
3) Make sure where you have it now is where you want it. If you move it's location inside your computer, you will have to redefine it.

This may be redundant & if so excuse me, but sometimes descriptives can be a bit confusing when you're new to software protocols. The process of definition is simply telling dreamweaver where to put things. Definition becomes vital when you decide to move pages or other items around in your files. In the presence of a defined site, dreamweaver does all kinds of things automatically for you and will catch you if and when you're about to do something stupid.

A metaphor example of what happened in this case is your out of the shower, in front of the sink, open the drawer, and the toothpaste is missing. [Lil' sister swiped it] It's been moved...