PDA

View Full Version : looking for some mobile/ tablet testing

harleynut97
04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi, I was just hoping that maybe I could get some people to test this test web page on some mobile devices....I am trying to learn to create "mobile friendly" web design.

Currently when previewing to browser on my desktop,everything plays and looks correctly except in IE 8 and 9. But all my browsers are uptodate and the most current versions.

This page is an html5 page and I am using what is known as media queries. There are 2 videos on the page.... a youtube embeded video, below that, is a 400x400px animation. The animation is where I have had the most problems with both in playing on mobile/tablet devices as well as problems getting it to scale correctly. I think I have the scaling problem sorted out,

Because windows 9 and older browser versions do not support html5 video, normally there is a flash fallback that is included so older browsers or unsupported browsers can still see the content. However currently, the flash fallback is not in the page which is why the second animation will not be seen (or seen incorectly) by IE.

When I had the flash fallback included, the animation could not be played by an Ipad 2 or 3. I also had problems with a nook tablet. So I removed the flash fallback to see if that is the problem. Currently there are h.264, webem, and ogg formats included for the animation.

This is the link Green to Gold Ministries (http://www.harleynut97.netai.net/index_new.html)

I am specifically looking for some help from anyone with an Ipad2 or 3. I would also welcome anyone with any kind of mobile/tablet device to test it. The navigation bar links have not been set up... I'm just interested in knowing the following:

1) Can you play the 2nd animation on your device? (its about 15 sec long)

2) does the webpage show up on the mobile/tablet device without the need to be scrolling left and right?

If you can just let me know what device you used that would be great, any help would be appreciated...thanks Carl

Ricky55
04-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Download the iOS simulator if you are using a mac. The android emulator is available for mac and Pc that's how I test. No need to use the actual device.

Ricky55
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Your vids play fine on the iPhone by the way.

harleynut97
04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Hey Ricky, thanks for taking the time to check it out.... here is what I am finding...

1) Everything works as it relates to Mac devices and computers

-The animation plays as expected in the I phone and whatever macbook or other type of mac computer (I just got back from the apple store)

-The animation does NOT play on an I pad ... you see the first frame, but no way of actually playing it... I can't for the life of me figure out how it could play good on one type of apple mobile device ( I phone 4s) and not play on the I pad...

-If I test my page at my desktop using preview browser, the animation plays on chrome, firefox,safari (for windows), In IE 9 I'm having a problem... the animation shrinks down to like a 1 inch x 1 inch box on my pc, but it does play.

-I went to best buy and tested a number of android phones and tablets and most of them did not even show the video was there... except for a "play arrow"

I really have to go back and start from scratch... its been really frustrating, I have ruled out that the flash fallback is the problem, because when I removed it ... it made no difference to these devices.

If anybody who really understands html code could take a look at it that would be great.. I know enough to get myself in trouble, as you can see.