PDA

View Full Version : updating HTML site to CSS

ktrares
04-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I've recently converted from Dreamweaver 4 to Dreamweaver CS5.5. Where do I begin to convert/incorporate CSS into my HTML site?

edbr
04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
you need to link the pages to a css file and have you styling there. you have them in <style> tags now?

ktrares
04-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Not sure. I don't know HTML code - always worked in design mode since my original version of Dreamweaver 4 from 2001. Reading Dummies book for CS5.5 to try to figure out CSS. Just don't know whether to start with new CSS sheets or if there's a way to do it from my current pages.

edbr
04-14-2012, 02:35 AM
at least open in split view and you will soon start to 'get it'
if you use design mode styles are usually added in page, so in the head you will see <style> your styling </style>
however if you link to a style sheet you can move them to that sheets ( you wont need the style tags though)
it is likely you have repeated styles however so it may take some organising.
an alternate way , how i would approach i think is to make a new site start with your index page , link to a style sheet, then add your other pages using that style shhet editing as i went

Corrosive
04-14-2012, 06:36 AM
This is a good resource for beginner CSS tutorials; http://htmldog.com/ You are going to be on a bit of a learning curve for a while but it is worth it in the end.

ktrares
04-14-2012, 01:04 PM
That was what I was thinking -- time consuming but worth it in the end. Thanks for your help.

ktrares
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks. I may need to find someone who knows old & newer Dreamweaver to give me a few lessons. I just don't want to do a lot of extra work -- I know it'll be time consuming to bring it up-to-date with CSS but worth it in the end.