PDA

View Full Version : New EU law for Cookies

cocoonfx
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi Chaps

I am a little confused on what has to happen with this new law. Does this mean all sites new and old have to have an option for the user to select cookies or not.

Corrosive
04-08-2012, 08:34 AM
I think the idea is for all websites to comply with it but I just can't see how they will enforce it.

cocoonfx
04-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I think your right as non of the UK government sites comply. Say you built a site a year ago, does this mean you have to add some code for the privacy option and can we charge to do this? or is it our responsibility as designers/developers to add this to existing and new sites.... I am confused by it all.

edbr
04-22-2012, 02:15 AM
me too but im going to ignore it unless it becomes urgent to deal with it. I feel its not going to become an issue

cocoonfx
04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
after doing some research I am less confused, I am going to comply. I am going to off a code snippet to my clients but going to leave them to advise if they want it or not. The code takes 5 minutes to add if that.

Corrosive
04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Which snippet are you going to use? Keep seeing the wolf software snippet around.

cocoonfx
04-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I am using some code from CIVIC.

http://civicuk.com/cookie-law/index

They have a plugin for wordpress which works really well. There is probably better ones out there but its quick and easy and looks good.

Corrosive
04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, that looks like a good solution, until someone sees sense with this whole madness. Thanks for sharing mate.

As a web designer I think we will be seeking specific consent from customers as to whether they wish to take the risk or not.

cocoonfx
04-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I agree its madness, it ruins the user experience of a website... having to click something to say you allow cookies...

EC/EU are like the Federation from Star Trek bunch of do gooders trying to dump down Europe... Saying that Get Clicky's cookies are set for 30 years ... and NHS is for 10 years.... Facebook Chat is 5 years.

I have sent a message to my clients saying I do an update but they need to provide privacy statements first and then I will upload the privacy statement and link the widget. However I have given them a deadline for a free update. I can see an opportunity for new clients

Corrosive
04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
That sounds like a good approach as well. Looking at the sites that already implemented an 'express permission' solution only 10% of visitors agreed... Effectively making Analytics worthless. As Al Murray says "Back off Brussels!"

cocoonfx
04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
however have Brussels actually thought that perhaps most users have not got a clue what a cookie is other than an a biscuit and do they really care.

Corrosive
04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
however have Brussels actually thought that perhaps most users have not got a clue what a cookie is other than an a biscuit and do they really care.

No, agreed. 90% of web users haven't a clue I'd say. This will cause more problems than it solves.

edbr
04-24-2012, 02:22 AM
i suspect they probably think they are an invasive threat that will open their emails and steal their bank login passwords. i wonder id warning on site will help or make them more suspicious

edbr
05-23-2012, 06:05 AM
first waning ive seen so far
http://docs.phpcoin.com/index.php/Cron

edbr
07-31-2012, 04:11 AM
been looking at this again as ive seen more warnings of late,
interesting article of who is doing what http://www.tint-network.co.uk/blog/websites/eu-cookie-law-two-months-on/

Corrosive
07-31-2012, 08:25 AM
That's weird. It says the Beeb has no cookie warning but it does... Quality 'journalism' from the web again ;)

edbr
07-31-2012, 08:35 AM
really? i dont get one, just a link as the writer says, maybe its based in Ip address or some such trickery

Corrosive
07-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, they do vary the site depending on IP. I don't believe that outside of UK users get all the features that we've paid our license fee for! As you are non EU I guess you don't get the message. It is there and it is pretty in-your-face so you would have noticed it.

edbr
08-09-2012, 07:00 AM
been playing around with this and wrote a very simple hide on click div, js is not my strong pint so i cobbled it together but i thought it might be a easy fix for someone else if needed. if anyone can improve on it please do.

<!DOCTYPE">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<title>Untitled Document</title>

<style >
#mydiv{ background-color: #000; color:#fff; width: 800px; }
#mydiv .allow { display:inline-block;width:100px; background-color: #ff0; color:#000; text-align:center; text-decoration: none; margin-left: 50px;}
#mydiv .link { margin-left:150px; border-left:#FFF 2px solid; color:#fff; text-align:center; none;}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
function hidestuff(id){
document.getElementById(id).style.visibility="hidden";
}
</script>
</head>
<body>

<div id="mydiv" onload="showstuff('mydiv');">This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies? <a class="allow" href="#" onclick="hidestuff('mydiv');" >Allow</a> <a class="link" href="#"> About cookies</a> </div>
</body>
</html>