PDA

View Full Version : centering pages

bbllaakkee1
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
hello ! newbie here ..

i have created this site : ariskaware.com

as you can see the content is always pushed over to the right of the browser. how do i get in the middle ??

i made the website just using layers in dreamweaver 8 just to let you all know..

any help much appreciated.

gentleone
03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forum bbllaakkee1!

Using layers (absolute positened divs) for layout is not a good idea as you've noticed. It's doable, but they're inflexible and lead to headaches if you don't know what you're doing.

If you want to fix it... here's a tutorial that explains how to center a webpage:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php

moviemastersdk
04-12-2012, 04:51 AM
Enclose the content in a div tag.
<div id=mytag align=center>put everything within the body here</div>

Then use CSS to define the width
And add "Auto" to both left and right margin.

#mytag {
height: auto;
width: 900px; // or what you prefer
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
}

Upon further reading, you might wanna check out the link from gentleone, helped me :D

But if you want a fixed width for all screen resolutions, you can use the above

bbllaakkee1
04-23-2012, 08:47 AM
ok thanks for the help.. so if layers arnt the way to set things out, then what should i be using to create a suitable page layout? is there any sites on the internet that i can use to copy and paste a complete code into the code section ? or is anybody able to paste a basic code onto here that i could possibly use ? i did have a look at the link that gentleone posted but being new to this, i could work out where to paste the HTML but the CSS part i havnt a clue about ! if any body is able to paste a simple code onto here that i can just copy and paste and use to build upon it would be amazing ! :-?

sorry im sounding stupid to all of you guys, its just iv been trying for soo long now to try and get something created that actualy looks good and works ! and all iv managed to do is sit here and scratch my head !

many thanks in advance

Corrosive
04-23-2012, 12:57 PM
There are lots of free & paid website template sites out there. If not, are you totally against paying a professional to do it? I mean, no you know that it actually isn't that easy...

domedia
04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
ok thanks for the help.. so if layers arnt the way to set things out, then what should i be using to create a suitable page layout? Web standards.
Get a good book like this one
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/books/shop.php?c=books&n=5&i=0321616952&x=Designing_with_Web_Standards_3rd_Edition

If coding is not for you, then find someone that can do it.

You're never going to get anything that works or looks good by copy and paste :-/ It just doesn't work like that.

Dreamweaver is an IDE/editor. It will not make you a web designer any more than buying a video camera makes you a videographer.

gentleone
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
I second that and if you don't know what you're doing, you should stay far away from doing client work.

domedia
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
But, if you're interested in learning more, you're definitely at the right place :)