PDA

View Full Version : confusion and questions on templates editable regions

harleynut97
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi, I'm new to using css...so bear with me. I have some questions on dreamweaver template I created... particularly editable regions.
Please look at the attached images, to help see what I really want

Let me first explain what I have done so far...

1) I created a html page and basically designed how I want my site to look.
2) I created an external style sheet, so that I can use this to make sitewide changes.
3) From this page I created a template
4) So now I want to create NEW page that utilizes the template and my external CSS style sheet
5) What I really want out of all of this is, that I am able to be allowed to edit everything except for how the website properties is postitioned ie... if I want to swap out a header image I can, but the location of the header remains the same

Here are my questions on editable regions to accomplish the above...

1) Do you define the editable regions on the new page that you created from the template .... or do you define the regions on the template itself.

2) If the page that the template was created from used an external css style (my main_css), When I create a new page from the template, do I have to link that external style sheet, or is it already linked?

3) I'm confused on what I should be making editable to allow the changes I want to be able to make, but making sure the postioning / margins / padding of the key elements remains in tact.

4) I am also going to be using media queries to define the site to be able to be used on different devices. I am confused on if I make certain pages from templates and define regions to be editable or uneditable. Does that prevent me from being able to restructure the web pages to be able to be resized and formated for other devices?

Any help on the above would be appreciated. Thanks, Carl

DWcourse
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
1. You define the editable regions in the Template. You can then edit the contents of those areas in pages based upon the template. Other regions will be locked.

2. If your site is defined/set up correctly and you created the template correctly. The new pages will be linked to the style sheet automatically.

3. Make editable areas you want to be able to edit on each page. Leave areas you want to be the same on all page non-editable.

4. No, if the template uses media queries, so will the pages based on the template. It could get a little tricky if you start adding content to editable areas that isn't resized though.

Here's an example of a template using media queries: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/free-dreamweaver-multiscreen-template.php

harleynut97
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank you for your reply DWcourse. But I would like to ask a followup question... specifically on your answer #3,

- Is there a way to make an editable region, but still make sure the postitioning, margin, padding and float properties that were given for the div container can not change.... In other words I want to have flexability to change stuff inside the div container, but want to keep the sizing and postioning exactly as seen on the screen grab image...

-I want to clarify your comment "It could get a little tricky if you start adding content to editable areas that isn't resized though." .... when you say resized... how do I properly resize the content?.I thought using the media queries and setting the min / max sizes would do it, and it does kind of... except for one problem

A flash swf file was created at 400 x 400 px. It is not resizing correctly when previewing in the mobile devices... All the other text, images, ect seem to be resizing correctly when previewing in a mobile device... they resize proportionately, but the SWF file will not... any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

DWcourse
03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
- Is there a way to make an editable region, but still make sure the postitioning, margin, padding and float properties that were given for the div container can not change.... In other words I want to have flexability to change stuff inside the div container, but want to keep the sizing and postioning exactly as seen on the screen grab image...

Make sure you make the content of the div editable not the div itself. Then the div and all its related styles will be present in the page made from the template.

-I want to clarify your comment "It could get a little tricky if you start adding content to editable areas that isn't resized though." .... when you say resized... how do I properly resize the content?.I thought using the media queries and setting the min / max sizes would do it, and it does kind of... except for one problem

As long as you accounted for all the contents with your media queries, it doesn't really matter if they are in editable region or not.

A flash swf file was created at 400 x 400 px. It is not resizing correctly when previewing in the mobile devices... All the other text, images, ect seem to be resizing correctly when previewing in a mobile device... they resize proportionately, but the SWF file will not... any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

We'd probably need a link to the page to see what's going on there.

harleynut97
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Because the problem immediately became apparant when just using the multiscreen preview, I never got to a point where I even uploaded, so unfortunately I can't provide you with a link regarding the swf problem.

Let me try out some other things first, perhaps, I didn't properly account for the flash file in the media query in the mobile query properly. If you do have any suggestions as to specifically what I should make sure is included on the mobile query to tell the flash file to resize appropriately. That would be great... like I said everything else worked good and resized correctly except for swf.

Thank you very much for your help..and the speedy replies. - Carl