PDA

View Full Version : Getting a published site into Dreamweaver

aar
03-17-2012, 02:41 AM
So my boss has asked me to use the new Dreamweaver softwars (CS5.5) to work on the organization's website making somewhat simple and small changes. However, I have been trying for about a week to figure out how to get the site and its files uploaded into Dreamweaver so that I can edit them using the software and then reupload them to the server.

The website is already published and all of its information is online. I need to get what is currently published and done onto my computer to edit it. How do I go about doing this?

I've read articles online and looked all through the manual, but the majority of the information is about how to upload a site for the first time from Dreamweaver and how to get the published files back from the site that you published yourself.

Please let me know any ideas you have/the answer to this issue. I feel like it's probably a pretty simple answer, but for some reason I just can't figure it out.

The hosting for the site is through WebHostingPad

edbr
03-17-2012, 03:19 AM
you can define your site and set the remote server as the online site, when connected you can click 'Get" and download all files to your local folder

aar
03-17-2012, 03:58 AM
you can define your site and set the remote server as the online site, when connected you can click 'Get" and download all files to your local folder

Okay, so I go into Dreamweaver and create a new site and then go in to set up the remote server through FTP. This is when I get issues because I type it all in according to how it should be (as said in the manual) and then when I hit test it doesn't go through, I just get a variety of error messages. Some about the server being down, the network being down, and needing proxy settings to name a couple. How do I fix this? Are these issues I need to direct towards the host?

edbr
03-17-2012, 04:48 AM
to be hones i never use this, i use fillezilla for uploading downloading files its a free download for the program so why dont you try it if you still have issues then it will be your connection details are not correct

Corrosive
03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Are you able to post a screenshot of the details you have added to Dreamweaver FTP? I agree with Ed that Filezilla is better but you should be able to get DW to do this as well. Also, check with your hosts that there aren't any special conditions required for FTP.