PDA

View Full Version : Change Title on a navigation bar

PaulaG
02-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi, Any advice - I am new to dreamweaver and have been asked to make a change on a nav bar. Site was originally done in i-web and then transferred to dreamweaver. I need to change the title from News to Vacancies. I did this in design view and uploaded but no change - I then noticed the html code had all changed - but don't want to interfere incase i make huge mistake? Any advice how this can be done easily. Thankyou www.a1medicalgeneral.com

gentleone
02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
That whole website is still build upon iWeb. The orignal navigation is an iWeb javascript thingy which is rubbish in the first place. If a user visit that website with javascript disabled in their browser they can't navigate the site.

I think you can only add, rename or delete menu items if you have iWeb or you will have to rebuild the navigation with CSS. I'd recommend the latter, because the styling of that navigation is pretty simple, but most importantly it makes the website more accessible.

PaulaG
02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Thankyou,so to change the title in code view only would not work in dreamweaver ?

gentleone
02-29-2012, 11:05 PM
The HTML of that navigation gets injected through JavaScript (Scripts/Widgets/Navbar/navbar.js) into the DOM (Document Object Model), so it's a sort of hidden and not for real in your code. Did you change that menu item in DW design view?

That navigation is an iWeb widget and can therefore only be edited through some interface in iWeb. I see that even the CSS of the navigation gets handled through javascript, so if you want to change something you need either iWeb or you delete that whole iWeb navbar and its assets and reproduce it with Dreamweaver just with HTML and CSS. there's no JavaScript needed for that navigation... not even the DW Spry nav (which would also be a bad choice for navigation).

You need to do a google search for a tutorial which explains how to create a CSS horizontal navigation with a hover effect (that little arrow). It's a pretty basic navigation effect, so there are tons of tutorials on the web for this.