PDA

View Full Version : IE dropdown menu behaviour ...

Finland Blue
02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Can anyone see from the following page, what might be the reason why I see the drop down-menu from the main nav much more spaced out in IE than in Chrome, Firefox, safari etc ... putting the mouse over "OUR SERVICES" drops the menu down ... so much longer in IE than the other browsers ...

http://www.travel-experience.net/new/index.htm

Lulu
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm no expert, but just looked at the link in Firefox and IE9 and they were the same. Not sure if that helps!

Finland Blue
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Actually, that DOES help, thanks. Its odd, but it displays very differently on IE on my PC. But checking on another PC and it looked normal in IE. I've no idea why that can be, but ... if its just my PC, then its OK ... though I guess I won't sleep until I find out why :-)

Lulu
02-06-2012, 06:56 AM
I would guess it's something to do with your pc setup, but as I said, I'm no expert! I forgot to say that I also looked at in Chrome and it looked the same. It's a pity no one else with a bit more expertise has got back to you.

Have you done some work on it since? I checked it out this morning (in case I was going mad and it did look different!). Before, the Services menu just tipped down behind Pause bar, now it is just above it. I think it looks better.

Good luck in finding an answer!

Finland Blue
02-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks Lulu for checking again. I had done some work on it yesterday, and actually again this morning. I changed the height of the drop down so that it should not go above the pause bar, as you mentioned.

But, now I think I found out why the drop down menu had issues - it seems to do with Internet Explorer's Compatability View. When its OFF, all is OK, but if its ON, then the differences show. I am not sure why mine was ON, but now its OFF it seems to be the reason.

I wonder if there is a way to prevent users choosing Compatability View ON, when it causes such unwanted differences?

Lulu
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I wonder if there is a way to prevent users choosing Compatability View ON, when it causes such unwanted differences?

I had a problem with IE9 the other day (nothing to do with website stuff) and read up on various things including Compatibility View. Not sure if this helps or hinders: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/compatibility-view.