PDA

View Full Version : Cache Recreate problem DW CS4

Lulu
02-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi

Note: it should be DW CS5, not DW CS4 as shown (typo, sorry).

I have a lot of web 'sites' in folders on my desktop which I use to test forms, lightboxes etc. None of them are live. I wanted to tidy up the desktop so created a new folder with the idea of moving all the dummy site folders into it.

I moved one folder without any problems. When I moved the second, I got the message:

"The root folder you have chosen is the same as the folder for site 'ContactTest'. This may cause some operations, such as synchronization, to work incorrectly. Proceed anyway?".

As the folder I was transferring wasn't terribly important, I thought I would see what happened so ok'd it. I had this message:

"The cache will now be recreated because the name, root folder, HTTP address of cloaking settings of the site have been changed."

It whizzed through a few files and moved the folder but the site no longer worked so I decided to move it back to the desktop. When I did this I was asked again about the cache which I ok'd. This time 300+ files whizzed through and I couldn't stop it.

When I checked the folder I had moved, everything on my desktop is showing as sub folders of it in DW?! If I delete the links/folders, they are deleted from the desktop.

I have no idea what's happened or why. Can anyone help me to undo the cache recreate, or whatever needs doing to resolve this mess?

DWcourse
02-03-2012, 10:12 PM
"The root folder you have chosen is the same as the folder for site 'ContactTest'. This may cause some operations, such as synchronization, to work incorrectly. Proceed anyway?".

You apparently tried to set the local site folder of a site to the same folder you set as the local site folder for "ContactTest". It usually doesn't make sense to have two sites point to the same folder. Or to have a site point to a folder within another site. So Dreamweaver warned you. It shouldn't have caused any major issues however.

"The cache will now be recreated because the name, root folder, HTTP address of cloaking settings of the site have been changed."

Whenever you change settings in the site setup, you get this message. It just mean DW is rebuilding its internal cache. Again, no big deal.

It whizzed through a few files and moved the folder but the site no longer worked so I decided to move it back to the desktop. When I did this I was asked again about the cache which I ok'd. This time 300+ files whizzed through and I couldn't stop it.

When I checked the folder I had moved, everything on my desktop is showing as sub folders of it in DW?! If I delete the links/folders, they are deleted from the desktop.

I have no idea what's happened or why. Can anyone help me to undo the cache recreate, or whatever needs doing to resolve this mess?

Your problems aren't from the cache being recreated. Your problems are because you've moved files and folders around and broken the links between them. I'm not sure if you did this within Dreamweaver, out on the desktop of a combination of both but it sounds like you don't understand the site set up procedure. I'd be surprised if you are able to undo the damage simply.

Your best bet might be a backup (if you have it) or downloading the sites from your server.

Lulu
02-04-2012, 08:10 AM
You apparently tried to set the local site folder of a site to the same folder you set as the local site folder for "ContactTest". It usually doesn't make sense to have two sites point to the same folder. Or to have a site point to a folder within another site. So Dreamweaver warned you. It shouldn't have caused any major issues however.

Whenever you change settings in the site setup, you get this message. It just mean DW is rebuilding its internal cache. Again, no big deal.

Your problems aren't from the cache being recreated. Your problems are because you've moved files and folders around and broken the links between them. I'm not sure if you did this within Dreamweaver, out on the desktop of a combination of both but it sounds like you don't understand the site set up procedure. I'd be surprised if you are able to undo the damage simply.

Your best bet might be a backup (if you have it) or downloading the sites from your server.

Thanks for your post.

I understand all of what you are saying, but don't understand how all my desktop shortcuts, folders etc are showing as sub folders of the folder I was trying to move back out onto my desktop following the cache recreate.

I did everything in DW apart from creating a new folder on my desktop called DW-Testing to house the various project folders, ie:
- To Site > Manage Sites
- Select the site > edit
- Change the path from C:/Users/myName/Desktop to C:/Users/myName/Desktop/DW-Testing

Why/how did cache recreate make the folder I was moving into the top level folder, with everything on my desktop showing as sub folders. Below is an example of what my Files Panel looks like now:

TOP LEVEL: Site - Lightbox Test (C:/Users/myName/Desktop)
Sub folder: Spotify.lnk (link to a music player)
Sub folder: Lytebox Test (this is one of my test folders)
Sub folder: Fancybox Test (this is one of test folders)
Sub folder: Scanner (a folder containing my scanner software)
Sub folder: EOS 40D (a folder contain my camera software)
Sub folder: IsoBuster.lnk (link to software)

How can this happen and, more importantly, how do I rectify it?