PDA

View Full Version : How to edit a Drupal 6 theme in Dreamweaver

tommy290
01-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I am getting incredibly frustrated trying to figure this out.

I have a website built using Drupal 6. I have installed the Zen theme, and created a sub-theme from that using the STARTERKIT files. Everything is set up on the web server just fine, because I can select and use the starterkit theme.

I would like to figure out how to edit the theme. I have the trial version of Dreamweaver CS5.5 because I was told Dreamweaver is king. I don't really know anything about web design, so I'm trying to learn. But perhaps I've jumped too far ahead.

My problem is that I can't even figure out where to begin editing the silly website. I use FileZilla as the FTP client so the theme's files are all on my local PC. I can open the CSS files, but can't really understand them. I also can't get a live preview from Dreamweaver because I supposedly have to connect it to a remote server, but no clue how to actually do that.

I know that I should probably go buy a book or something, but I thought I'd pose the question and see if anyone knows where to point me. Even if my only hope is a book, any recommendations? Or is there a tutorial website somewhere?

Thanks all for any help. I greatly appreciate it.

Corrosive
01-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Jumping straight into editing a Drupal theme is a huge step for a noob. Ideally you want to be downloading a copy of your website files and a copy of your database from the server, installing a local server - WAMP (for PC) or MAMP (for Mac), setting your website up on your computer, telling Dreamweaver where it can find the files and the testing server and then working from there.

Not sure 30 days (the length of Dreamweaver trial) is going to be enough for you to learn what you need to be honest.

tommy290
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I was afraid of that. Sounds like I'm getting in over my head. :)

Is WAMP easy to set up and configure? Looks like they have forums, so I could probably get help there if I needed it.

Is this forum ok for asking more beginner questions as I try to figure this out? If not, do you happen to know a good forum for me to use? I do my best to try to research things, but sometimes it's hard finding an answer for a specific situation.

Also, if I can get to the point where I think Dreamweaver will be my solution, I plan on buying the full version. I just did the trial because I wasn't sure if it would do what I need it to.

Corrosive
01-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Is this forum ok for asking more beginner questions as I try to figure this out?

Of course, ask away :)